We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Vienna to Prague

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Travel from Vienna to Prague

We would like to know teh best options for travel from Vienna to Prague on teh 26th December 2012. We are 2 adults and 2 children on a Christmas holiday to Vienna and Prague.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
1. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

This question is among the frequently asked ones. Please use the search function of the forum! Thanks!

Dubai, United Arab...
2. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

hello, same question and same day of travelling... we ll meet u in the train.

but i would like to ask i heard about 1 train ticket from vienna to berlin

with free stops.. as we can spend few days in prague and then i dresden then arriving berlin.. all with 1 tickets....

which site can i book this ticket???????????????????

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
3. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

>but i would like to ask i heard about 1 train ticket from vienna to berlin

with free stops.. as we can spend few days in prague and then i dresden then arriving berlin.. all with 1 tickets....

It is just a normal standard price ticket from Vienna to Berlin. Not anything special.

>which site can i book this ticket???????????????????

Just go to the ticket counter in Vienna and buy a ticket to Berlin via Prague,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 196
4. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

Since V S from Mumbai is a new TA member, he probably hasn't learned how to use the Search functions. VS, just type in some key words in the Search In Vienna box. That will give you a long list of previous discussions.

From Vienna to Prague, you can go by train or by bus. The length of the trip can be shorter by bus but before you decide, factor in your location of departure and arrival. You might find that the bus trip is shorter but your actual travel time to and from the bus station is longer.

To buy train tickets online:

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

To buy bus tickets, check www.westbus.at .

Either method, it's going to be 4 hrs or more. Your children will probably prefer the train. There's a place where you can buy food/drinks, they can walk around and the toilet is probably nicer.

I learned all this from GCEK, the DE of Train Travel. Hope he reads this and adds his useful advice.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
5. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

Spot on :) However the distance to the bus stations doesn't really play a major role as they both have nearby metro stations. In Prague it is only one minute from the bus station to the main railway station by metro, but there might be different tram options.

BTW - I wouldn't be so bold as to call myself THE DE of train travel - there are many more of us, including Mikey above, but it is a common question. Gigis_mum has been kind enough to give you some great advice there.

Re. the ticket from Vienna to Berlin. You can buy a standard ticket on the day and it will cost you €129 - there is no point buying on line as it will cost the same and they are unlimited in number. This gives you total flexibility to use any train and stop off as many times as you like on the way, as long as you travel in the direction of Berlin, within a one-month period.

However, if you know when you want to travel and are happy to be restricted to the train/bus that you bought the ticket for, then you can do the same journey, stopping off at the main places on the way, i.e. Brno, Prague, Dresden, for €60-65 or less if you use the bus for a couple of the legs (very comfortable on the Czech ones - free wi-fi and refreshments/DVDs).

e.g. Vienna - Brno €9 www.studentagency.eu

Brno - Prague €8,20 www.studentagency.eu

Prague - Dresden €19 www.cd.cz/eshop

Dresden - Berlin from €19 www.bahn.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 196
6. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

Vienna - Prague (Dec 26) currently from €59 www.oebb.at

(departing from Wien Meidling and arriving at Praha hl.n.)

Thanks GCEK! I knew you had a few different DE designations but I couldn't remember all of them. Allow me to re-phrase accordingly: 'GCEK, a DE of Train Travel'...

Edited: 1:25 pm, November 22, 2012
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
7. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

Yes, it looks as though the €29 tickets have sold out on 26/12, but there are still tickets from €39, or if you don't mind changing and taking a bit longer (6 hours) then there are even tickets for €15,80

But I would get the bus while there are still tickets left - €19 on www.westbus.at

Dubai, United Arab...
8. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

hello, thank you for your reply.....

but i found a ticket with 2 euros... is this correct ? can it be??????

any conditions to have this kind of tickets???????

plz

helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
9. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

It would be nice if such a ticket at that price existed, but unfortunately it doesn't, unless a bus company is offering a very good special offer that I haven't heard of - that sounds like it is just the reservation only which is no good without a travel ticket.

How did you find it?

Edited: 6:59 am, November 23, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
10. Re: Travel from Vienna to Prague

oh thank u finally i found someone is helping me.....

u found in obb 26th of dec

plz check it.. i was going to book it now...it is from vienna city to praha...

what is your opinion? will i go with it? or i can not understand this booking? i will not do anything without ur advice...