We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vienna apartment help

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 11
vienna apartment help

Hello we are a family of four going to Vienna over Christmas.

We like to be in a "real" neighbourhood with cafes/shops/people out and about and not too far to get to sites. Ie tram very close or bus but walking preferred. (i know most of these are a bit farther.)

I am looking at

1. An apartment on Aspangstrasse

2. Apartment on Ferchergasse

3. hotel on Neustiftgasse

4. apartment on Engerthstrasse

I appreciate your help and any suggestions of what to do with teens in Vienna.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 41
1. Re: vienna apartment help

Ferchergasse and Engerthstrasse will take some time to reach the inner city.

Aspangstrasse and Neustiftgasse are much closer.

Barcelona, Spain
2. Re: vienna apartment help

thank-you!

the apartment on aspangstrasse is very nice we are just concerned that it is a bit industrial? the owners says supermarket is 5 minutes away and cafes are downtown. Are there no cafes and street life in this area? Another listing on this street mentioned a brothel and a building site. Makes me nervous!

Is Neustiftgasse 66 a better area? It is the hotel Rothensteiner

We would really like to have some Christmas cheer around our lodging.

thanks!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
3. Re: vienna apartment help

On Rennweg you would find enough shopping and eating possibilities but nothing special. You can always take the tram 71 to reach the inner city.

Neustiftgasse seems the best option as there are many restaurants , bars close by and you are easy in reach of the Christmas Market in Spittelberg, Museumsquartier and of course in the Innercity like Maria Theresia Platz.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
reviews: 4
4. Re: vienna apartment help

My thoughts:

1. Aspangstrasse - I live about a block away from this street. Center is reachable in about 10 minutes by tram 71. A nice Eurospar (which will be remodeled as of early Dec) is directly behind; other shops are very close. No real interesting restaurants or cafes nearby, but it is real Vienna life. Perfectly safe and I have never seen a brothel there. There is a huge building site, true, right across the street.

2. Ferchergasse - This is far from center. Average neighborhood from what I know; middle working class. Not exciting in the restaurant/cafe department.

3. Neustiftgasse - Best location. Best par of the street is closest to center. Can get less interesting as you approach the gurtel. Best overall neighborhood feel; better dining options.

4. Engerthstrasse - This is a really long road so it kind of depends on the actual address. That said, this area isn't great for what you are looking for at all.

Barcelona, Spain
5. Re: vienna apartment help

thank-you so much for all the help. i narrowed it down to the Neustiftgasse 66 choice but now have another possibility on Maria Theresien across from KandK Rossauer.

Would this be a better choice?

It is in the first district but don't know if good cafes/shops/|\christmas lights and markets are nearby.

Again, the help is very much appreciated.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
6. Re: vienna apartment help

In the first district everything is nearby! ;-)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
7. Re: vienna apartment help

"Maria Theresien across from KandK Rossauer" - can you give the exact address? This doesn't really make sense to me.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
8. Re: vienna apartment help

Do you mean K+KHotel MariaTheresia? That is a well located hotel.

Barcelona, Spain
9. Re: vienna apartment help

no I thought so too and checked and it is not. it is on Maria Theresien strasse and says "with a view to K&K Rossauer Kaserne"by which I think they mean barracks so probably not as good? but compared with Neustiftgasse 66 perhaps a better choice? Thanks again

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
10. Re: vienna apartment help

Personally, I would still go with the Neustiftgasse location. This new one you have mentioned is closer to the first district, but the immediate area includes a lot of banks and businesses.