We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange Question for You...

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
reviews: 1
Strange Question for You...

Is it possible to rent a small RV (motorhome) in Vienna for a few weeks? I am a regular poster on the London forum and have had a friend ask me about RV rental. She is accompanying her parents to Vienna and then to a small town some 50K outside of Vienna in August. They are going to help with an excavation of a field where her uncle's plane crashed in 1944 during WWII. She has worked for over 20 years to retrieve the remains of her uncle who perished in the plane crash and bring them home to the states. During the excavation at this remote site, my friends' 80yr old parents will need to rest, use a restroom, etc. and she thought it would be easier for them if they had the use of a motorhome. It would be for August of this year. Any ideas for me? Thanks so much for your help.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: Strange Question for You...

I could not let such a post question to go unanswered for such a good purpose.

I had no idea where a motorhome could be rented but found the following

Star Mobil- they claim to be #1 in Austria.

www.starmobil.at

Unfortunately website is only in German.

their phone number 43-2682 65656

fax 43 2682 65656 88

Of course their website has e- mail address.

If you look under the title- Vermietung ( rental) you can see pictures of available motorhomes and prices.

I will continue to look for more possibilities as I have seen several motorhome dealers in Vienna and will try for more info and repost here.

I hope the above will help.

Nebraska
2. Re: Strange Question for You...

Thank you so much Vertical, I will pass this info on to them. I knew someone on TA would have an answer. They have been working on getting this excavation started for around five years and my friend's dad and mother insist on being there when and if they find his brother's remains. The actual dig will be conducted near Wiener Neustadt. Thanks again!

vienna
Destination Expert
3. Re: Strange Question for You...

I You are most welcome. Happy to help a little.

new york
4. Re: Strange Question for You...

FullSailMom,

Is it possible to get more information about the excavation work in Austria? It sounds very interesting and I would love to know more.

Thank you.

Nebraska
5. Re: Strange Question for You...

Hi All! I will keep you posted as to the excavation. It is pretty exciting stuff. My friend is actually writing a book about the whole experience, entitled "Unforgotten Soldier". She has traveled to the Vienna (Wiener Neustadt) area a lot in the last five years, trying to get this excavation going. She is relentless in the pursuit of bringing her uncle home. Pretty cool! She was very excited to get the motorhome info (thanks SO MUCH Vertical) and I'm sure I'll post more questions from her the closer we get to the actual excavation. From what I understand, they KNOW the plane is in a certain spot and they just want to find the human remains.

vienna
Destination Expert
6. Re: Strange Question for You...

The area you talk about received many bombings during the war as it had many factories including aircraft engines and construction.

This fighting was mostly in 1944-45 and fits the time you mention above.

Reminders of the war are still constantly found today- mostly unexploded bombs.

Nebraska
7. Re: Strange Question for You...

I hadn't thought about unexploded bombs. Awful! That's probably why they have a special recovery team that does the actual excavation.

I'd love to come see the whole operation and see Vienna too. My husband and I were in Salzburg a number of years ago, but we didn't get to Vienna. Maybe this will get us thinking about a trip! And I'm sure they will have more questions as we get closer to the date of their trip. I knew the kind people over here would be helpful. Thanks again!

new york
8. Re: Strange Question for You...

FullSailMom,

Thank you for the information. It really does sound quite exciting. I am a journalist and would love to pursue this further for a possible story, if the family would be willing to share their amazing experience. Can you tell me if there is a way to get more information, a contact name or email address?

I am traveling now but will attempt to check this posting as often as possible.

Thank you so much.

Nebraska
9. Re: Strange Question for You...

TeD ~ I will ask the family if they are willing to give out their names, etc. If you want, you may email me directly at jamaca@galaxycable.net with details for the family. It really is an amazing story, isn't it!