We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets - crunch

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville
reviews: 1
Christmas Markets - crunch

Is 2/3 days enough to enjoy the markets--with the exception of the

Schonbrunn??

My concern is we may not arrive until Saturday December 22nd and plan on hitting the ground running.

We could cover:--between Sat/Sun/Mon

Rathauspark

Belvedere Palace

Maria-Theresien Platz

Altwiener and

possibly Divina Art Christmas - on Karlsplatz

Saving the Schonbrunn for the 25th.

We'll be staying at the Marriott on the ring--close to everything and don't want to miss a thing!! We will be in Vienna until Fri or Sat the 28th or 29th.

What are the "must see" markets at night?

All the photos on line look amazing and we just want to enjoy/absorb all of Vienna during the Holidays.

Sorry this is so long but Christmas is my most favorite time of the year and the thought of spending it in Vienna is AMAZZZING!

Thanks,

PJ

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
reviews: 4
1. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

You must go to the market at Spittalberg. The best and most authentic one, in my opinion.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
2. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

You could easily do them all over 2/3 days. Agree with Cherries about Spittalberg which I think is good at night, but for sheer nighttime spectacle the Rathaus market is best. As well as the stalls and huge Christmas tree, the illumination of the Rathaus as a giant advent calendar and the giant lanterns in the trees of the park are magnificent. However it is usually crowded and has the least authentic goods for sale.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 41
3. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

I enjoy the smaller ones like on FREYUNG after work or KARLSPLATZ in the evening

4. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:00 pm, August 22, 2012
Nashville
5. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

Thank you -- in my excitement of posting my question I completely overlooked Spittelberg!!!! - which is on my list.

Our schedule now looks better--we'll arrive Friday the 21st and return the following Friday-- soooo my anexity/panic meter is on the cool, calm level!

PJ

munich
reviews: 38
6. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

Yeah Spittelberggasse one is great. We had the advantage of staying at the K+K Maria Theresia on the adjacent street.

Did the Rathaus at night/evening also.

Maria-Theresien-Platz one was handy for us as it was "on the way" walking into the city

Nashville
7. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

Thanks giftzwerg---we can't wait!!!!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
8. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

www.spittelberg.at/index.php…

Casuarina
reviews: 26
9. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

Since it gets dark early (?@4.30pm), this allows for maximum Christmas light viewing time! The inner city is easy to walk around so you can combine several markets in one evening whilst enjoying the beautifully lit architecture on the way.

Make sure you walk up Graben at night, the overhanging Christmas lights are truly spectacular. You could combine this with the Freyung markets, a rest at Cafe Central and the Rathaus Christmas markets.

To walk between Spittleberg and Maria Theresien Platz Christmas markets, you can cut through the Museum Quartier via the steps to the side of the MUMOK museum off Breite Gasse. The Museum Quarter has a curling rink (like bowling on ice). The museum bulidings have different colours and patterns projected on them. Makes for an interesting "thoroughfare"!

Schonbrunn and Rathaus were our favorites but we loved them all! Have a great time, Vienna is spectacular!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 53
10. Re: Christmas Markets - crunch

May be interested in my Christmas trip report and photographs :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k40…

Have a fantastic time!