We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 244
Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

My wife and I will be in Vienna on the evenings of Fri 19 and Sat 20 Oct. Whilst we are not really into classical music we think it would be a shame not to take in a concert. Something like a Strauss Waltz would be fine but certainly not Opera. We have heard of the New Years Day concert and the Musikverein but am conscious that there are a lot of 'lower class' events for the tourists. Any advice from some of the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
1. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

Well you're only going to get a Strauss waltz at one of the "lower class" tourist events. A few choices at the city's two principal venues:

19 October:

19:30 Musikverein - Tonkünstler-Orchester Niederösterreich playing quite a charming French program. Good provincial orchestra.

!9:30 Konzerthaus (small Hall) - Vienna Chamber Philharmonic with a program of Haydn, Mozart and Schubert

!9:30 Konzerthaus - (large hall) - Vienna Symphony Orchestra playing Schumann and Bruckner (the concert I personally would choose)

20 October:

19:30 Musikverein - Kammerorchester playing Pärt, Mozart and Tchaikovsky

Details from:

http://konzerthaus.at/home_e

http://www.musikverein.at/?lang=en

UK
reviews: 244
2. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

As ever Norman grateful thanks and on behalf of the wider community a big thank-you for your general advice regarding just about every issue one could imagine.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
3. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

Thank you - that's very gratifying to hear! A few weeks ago someone told me I was nasty because I'd dared to suggest she did a bit of research herself even though I'd given her a good link to do so! At least somebody appreciates the help I try to give.

Dunn, North Carolina
reviews: 7
4. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

My wife and I will be taking a river cruise, starting in Vienna on May 6. However, we will be in Vienna on May 5. We can participate in a Royal Waltz Concert as part of our cruise on May 7, but have concerns about the quality of these "for tourist" concerts. I would appreciate your opinion and possible alternatives for May 5 or May 7.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
5. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

You can search for events on your dates here:

http://events.wien.info/en/

On your dates, I would choose this concert in the Vienna Spring Festival - if you like Mozart:

musikverein.at/konzerte/konzertprogramm.php…

I suspect that there are cheaper seats available than you would get at a the tourist concert too!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
6. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

May 5 at the Musikverein- performance of the Tonkunstler Orchestra - fine regional full orchstra- good quality and fair ticket prices.

www.musikverein.at

Philharmonic performs close to these dates too if schedule permits

Royal Waltz Orchestra- your assumption is correct - tourist oriented evening with an ensemble not a full orchestra- not good value for those liking better music

Dunn, North Carolina
7. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

Thank you Vertical and Roley for your comments. I think we will attend the Mozart concert on May 7 at the Musikverein. Which is better to sit in the balcony-loge immediately adjacent to the orchestra, the balcony-loge about 2/3 back, or on the floor in approximately row 22?

Edited: 4:04 pm, February 07, 2013
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
8. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

I'm a bit confused. If your cruise starts from Vienna on 6 May how can you be free to attend a concert on 7 May?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 149
9. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

I'd prefer the seats in the orchestra or the box further back from the orchestra, assuming the seats are in the first row of the box. Sitting too close on the side of the orchestra is not ideal (like sitting next to one speaker of your HiFi set).

Dunn, North Carolina
10. Re: Concert in Vienna - Advice Please

We board our vessel in the afternoon of the May 6, but spend May 7 touring Vienna, with the option of the cruise-sponsored Royal Waltz Concert or a free evening. We actually sail the morning of May 8. Sorry for the confusion.