We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, California
reviews: 87
Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Hello Vienna,

Many months ago my wife and I reserved an apartment located at Lerchenfelder Straße 71. We were stumped by the abundance of premium apartments and, after posting a query in the Vienna Forum, the Lerchenfelder location was universally lauded as the best apartment of the bunch from which we were choosing. I've used TA for more than a decade and always trust the forums more than reviews. Advice here is always accurate, and rarely "managed," as reviews sometimes are.

We have long been excited about the apartment - which can be found at: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/322786

However, when I Google-mapped our route to the apartment this weekend, I discovered location is now under construction.

Google isn't updated daily, so I don't know how old the satellite image is. And, G-maps often misses an address by a building or two, so it might not even be our building under construction.

I emailed the owner, and she replied saying, "Yes there is construction outside, but the space is located in the inner second building, and can barely be heard from inside." Admittedly, none of the reviews of her apartment mention noise from renovations. But, I'm still worried.

So once again, we're stumped, and I'm not sure what we are asking. It would be great if someone that lives or works nearby that address would weigh in with an opinion. Of course, that's a lot to hope for. Aside from that, we are open to any thoughts - and surely willing buy a beer (or four) for a local willing to walk by and report. We are due in Vienna in mid-September.

Thanks for your attention.

MjS

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 7
1. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Just in general terms, there are extremely strict rules about construction works and noise, and the tram that runs in front of the building would make more noise than any building work that may or may not be going on in the vicinity :)

It isn't something that I personally would be too concerned about. They are constructing a new block opposite the house where my sister-in-law lives and you honestly wouldn't notice a thing noise-wise, but the children do like to watch the crane doing its work ...

If you are worried about being kept awake at night, then you need not worry at all - that issue will not arise. During the day presumably you will be out and about.

Edited: 11:13 pm, July 26, 2012
Pasadena, California
2. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Hello and thank you. We are really only worried about morning noise. Presumably, because we will be on holiday, we won't be out of bed before 9AM any given morning. I read review of another apartment where the tenant referenced 7AM hammering every morning, (the construction was a surprise to them too). Hammering nails as a wake-up call would be a disappointing way to begin the Vienna leg of a long awaited vacation. As it is, we are crossing our fingers and trusting, all will be quiet in the inner courtyard. Thanks again for your reply! MjS

Edited: 2:05 pm, July 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
3. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

The image on Google Earth was taken in summer 2011, so I suppose that the outside work is completed. Nonetheless you eventually have to deal with some minor disturbances.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 71
4. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

@ Mikey

How can you tell what month it was taken? We were just looking at our house on there and we couldn't date it better than within a couple of years!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
5. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Date is displayed bottom left.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 71
6. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

You learn something everyday. I love the new 3D images when you zoom in. Vienna seems to be one of the first cities to show this. It's probably because you refused to allow street view!

Pasadena, California
7. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Thanks for the interest in my post - honestly, we would rather not deal with disturbances.

About the date, what's interesting is, in the USA, our map data for that address says Google published it in 2012. I wonder if the Google images we see in US, are different than the images displayed in other parts of the world. But, you're right, who knows what month it was taken?

Also, to reiterate, we definitely would be happy to buy a beer (or four) for a local willing to walk by and report. We are due in Vienna in mid-September. Here's a link to all the restaurants within walking distance to the location: www.restauranttester.at/street.php?id=2776

:>)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
8. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Is that the latest info (image) you have?

http://goo.gl/maps/RJfyz

Edited: 2:44 am, August 03, 2012
Pasadena, California
9. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

Hi Mikey - yes and no, the area is correct, however - the image info I see says, "maps data copyright @2012 Google"

Can you see it here (maybe) - maps.google.com/maps…

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
10. Re: Apartment Selection & Construction concerns

In my opinion this is not the actual date when the (satellite) picture was taken. On Google Earth the exact date is stated.