We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 1
Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

Is the new main railway station on Vienna on course for an opening in December?

I am interested in exploring the new Hauptbahnhof when I visit during Advent.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
1. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

In December only a small section will become operational.

hauptbahnhof-wien.at/de/…FactsFigures.pdf

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 71
2. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

From the Bahnorama camera I see that trains are now "passing through" the station. Do we know yet when the very first passengers will start to use it. The timetable Mikey referenced only mentions "partial start up of operations" in December. But only three of the five platforms look to have been built and roofed.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
3. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

Remember that the new airport terminal opened 4 years after scheduled completion date. Even now after opening ,construction failures and poor planning mean millions more in added costs ( including elevators )

Reports say partial opening ! But who knows - Past Construction achievements do not make me optimistic.

A friend once said - " Believe nothing that you hear and 1/2 of what you see"

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
4. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

I think (that I have read) that only local trains will stop there in the beginning. In December 2013 I suppose that also long-distance trains will serve the new station. It is also important to know that there are many other works whose progress you do not really oberve at a first glance. For instance, the construction works in the areas before and after the station which are often "more important" and "more complex" than the train station building itself. I am convinced that ÖBB will open the train station according to schedule just because they (almost) always do that when they have built something.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
5. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

I only see the view from the camera which is mainly the platforms with their fancy roof surrounded by a still huge building site. And only three of the five roofed platforms seem to have been constructed so far. There used to be two camera views, but now only one! When you pass the area at ground level does it look like the passenger access and concourse have been built?

Vienna, Austria
6. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

From dec. 2012 local trains (to destinations in the east and south-east of Vienna) will serve the new main station, while the last tracks of the old Südbahnhof, which are today used by these local trains, will then be removed.

Only 4 platform tracks of the new main station will be operational from dec. 2012, that's why only the mentioned local trains can use the station.

There are not enough tracks for other trains.

The remaining 6 platform tracks (hence totally 10 platform tracks) will be constructed till dec. 2014.

Only then the 1st long distance trains will be able to stop at Wien Hauptbahnhof.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
7. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

So will the ticket offices and access to the Südtirolerplatz U-Bahn station be open?

Vienna, Austria
8. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

Ticket offices will be open, but not the direct access to the U1, as there will still some construction works going on there.

Access will be via a temporary route on the eastern side of Laxenburgerstrasse.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
9. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

Do you know if the Ostbahnhof will close then? We often advise people on trains to Bratislava and I wondered if they were moving to the new platforms at the same time.

Vienna, Austria
10. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof - Dezember Eröffnung?

Yes, the Südbnahnhof (Ost) will close in dec 2012 - thats what I meant with "the last tracks of the old Südbahnhof", the name 'Ostbahnhof' is not officialy used.