We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna in one day

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orewa, New Zealand
reviews: 4
Vienna in one day

Yes, I know it is not enough time, but it is all we have. My wife and I are in Vienna for 1 full day in late June. We are staying close to the city centre. Can anyone suggest a walking itinerary for us that would take in the major sites, including a nice place for lunch, chocolatier(?), or coffee house?

Thank you

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
11. Re: Vienna in one day

Agree about the #58 to Schönbrunn - if you wish to walk,walk in the flower garden toward the Gloriette much better use of time and energy in my opinion. That from U-4 stop Schönbrunn is not really that great.

In winter, especially with the wind blowing - not much fun ! But some insist on this route.

I often take a little picnic lunch with me, find a sunny bench in the garden and enjoy.

Fantastic atmosphere, good food, no service charge

Anderson, Indiana
12. Re: Vienna in one day

We are thinking of going to Cafe Dommayer because of your recommendations. What do they serve for main course and kind of prices? Thanks. Marlyne

Anderson, Indiana
13. Re: Vienna in one day

We will also be in Vienna for just one day. We are arriving from a river cruise on Tuesday, July 4, 2006. What time do most stores open and close? We would have liked to go to the Ephosis Museum but understand that it is closed on Tuesdays. Thanks. Marlyne

vienna
Destination Expert
14. Re: Vienna in one day

Most stores will open 9:30 to 10 in the morning- closing about 6 PM or !8:00

Yes, the museum for Ephesus is closed Tuesdays but many other things tom see.

vienna
Destination Expert
15. Re: Vienna in one day

Above post - closing time should read 6 PM (18:00 )

Other good museums - not far from the Ephesus exhibit:

Fine Arts Museum

Albertina

Anderson, Indiana
16. Re: Vienna in one day

Thanks for the information. I'm sure we will want to come back to Vienna when we can spend more time and probably not in the summer. It looks as if it is predicted to be in the 80's this week. Is this normal and is it humid? Marlyne

vienna
Destination Expert
17. Re: Vienna in one day

In the past few years, nothing about the weather has been normal here.

Today was very hot and humid 30- 35 grad celsius. depending on where you were in Vienna.

I was in the First District until 3 PM today- not very nice. Everyone looking for shade, a cool drink at a cafe( under an umbrella)and /or an ice cream.

Two weeks ago, cold with snow in the mountains.

Who knows what comes later, but tomorrow - Hot again like today.

Be certain to come back to Vienna again, for the Ephesus exhibit ( very good, with many statues) and all the other many opportunities

September - October usually nice time.

Anderson, Indiana
18. Re: Vienna in one day

Thanks. Our weather in Indiana has been that way too. We were going to go to Schoenbrunn in the afternoon because of the crowds. Now, because of the heat (my husband doesn't do well in heat), we are wondering if we should plan to go in the morning.. Since we are arriving on a cruise ship that is to dock at 8, we may not be able to count on being there before 930. Will it be too crowded to enjoy? Marlyne

vienna
Destination Expert
19. Re: Vienna in one day

In two weeks the weather can change completely. I would still recommend an afternoon visit as it is normally less crowded.

Mornings always seem full of bus tours.

A good place to cool off if is still hot- the Gardens of Schönbrunn- many benches - some always in the shade.

Anderson, Indiana
20. Re: Vienna in one day

Since you recommended Cafe Dommayer, I went to their website. The menu is in German. Will that be the case when we go to the cafe or do they have an English menu too. What do you recommend for lunch there. Marlyne