We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 31
Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Can anyone give us recommendations for hotels and restaurants that have nonsmoking rooms and/or sections? When we stayed in Munich at Le Meridian our nonsmoking room was on a nonsmoking floor, and it was perfect. Unfortunately, all the public areas were hard to breathe in due to so much smoke. We have health issues and can't be around too much cigarette smoke.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Check LeMeridien in Vienna. It has a superb location and may have the same arrangement as that found in Munich.

Vienna slowly adjusts its customs to cater to non smokers. Many smokers live in Vienna.

All public transport forbids smoking, many taxis too.

The Gosser Bierklinik ,near Graben, has a non smoking dining room

Many other restaurants also have non smoking- perhaps some other posters are more accustomed to this.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
2. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Pension Christina has a non-smoking floor (top floor so best too!) Unfortunately the breakfast room is rather wreathed in smoke but we're making progress! I think Pension Pertscshy has a non-smoking room attached to the breakfast room as well as non-smoking guest rooms.

Cafe Oberlaa has a non-smoking room upstairs. Cafe Griensteidl has a non-smoking section if you turn right on entering the doors (unfortunately usually full of yowling tourists). Wrenkh (vegetarian restaurant) used to have a nonsmoking room but it's cut down in size and I'm not sure if that's still operational.

I have health issues with smoke but somehow the smoking in Austria doesn't bug me nearly as much as it does in the UK. Even though more people smoke in Austria than is customary in places like US, NZ or Australia (Britain is still quite smokey) I do notice one nice thing which is fewer people marching around smoking in the street. I hate this in Britain (queueing behind someone who is smoking and you're getting a faceful? ugh!) Someone told me that it was considered vulgar to smoke in the street in Germany back in the day - maybe that attitude still prevails! But it makes walking about nicer (unless you get behind some British tourists ...!)

rol

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 6
3. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

We stayed in a non smoking room at Pension Pertschy (143)

and had no trouble finding places to eat with no smoking sections in Vienna .....but the smoke was still everywhere and hard to get away from. Especially being from CA you are going to be surprised at just how much smoking there is.

Gail

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
4. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Austria has laws that prohibit smoking in certain areas, but they're not properly executed like in the US. Many traditional Viennese restaurants (Gasthaus or Wirtshaus) have non-smoking tables, but you often need to walk through the territory of the smokers. Although smoking is fully prohibited in the public transport system (cars and stations as well), people sometimes 'forget' it and start smoking. But this is only occassionally.

If you enter a restaurant, just insist of getting a non-smoking table that deserves its name. If not available, turn around and dine elsewhere. Maybe the owner finally understands what customers want when they claim a non-smoking area.

San Francisco...
5. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Thank you for your helpful and specific suggestions. I am sure eventually everywhere will become nonsmoking since cancer and/or heart and lung diseases are inevitable if you do smoke. I know here in CA business is booming as most people prefer to eat, drink, and be merry without the health hazards of smoking.

My husband has chronic bronchitis from the secondhand smoke of growing up with two parents who smoked. I have asthma. Regardless, we can't wait to see Vienna. We thought Bavaria and Salzburg were some of the most beautiful places we have ever been, with some of the nicest and most intelligent residents. Guess I will just wheeze.:)

San Francisco...
6. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Thank you for your helpful and specific suggestions. I am sure eventually everywhere will become nonsmoking since cancer and/or heart and lung diseases are inevitable if you do smoke. I know here in CA business is booming as most people prefer to eat, drink, and be merry without the health hazards of smoking.

My husband has chronic bronchitis from the secondhand smoke of growing up with two parents who smoked. I have asthma. Regardless, we can't wait to see Vienna. We thought Bavaria and Salzburg were some of the most beautiful places we have ever been, with some of the nicest and most intelligent residents. Guess I will just wheeze.:)

Leeds, UK
reviews: 7
7. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

I have recently visited Vienna and was shocked at the fact that as a non-smoker it was extremely difficult to get away from cigarette smoke.

It felt like evryone there smokes and is infinitely worse than anything you would experience in the UK (with the exception of pubs)

I am allergic to smoke and also detest the smell of it and it seemed that EVERYWHERE I went it was the same. It was unfortunately the same in Slovakia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Hungary also.

People are not supposed to smoke on the U-bahn but I saw PLENTY of people smoking on platforms (and nobody telling them to stop!)

Amazing!

It really reminded me of what it used to be like in the UK 20 years ago. It really did.

I am so glad we have moved on.

For us it seemed to take the Kings Cross fire to stop the smoking on the London Underground. Will it take the same in Vienna before it is stopped?! I hope so much that a 'Kings Cross' doesn't happen there.

Even when there were 'no smoking' areas for me to sit in they were totally useless as there was a 'smoking' area right next door so of course the smoke drifted across filling my lungs with it.

HORRIBLE!!!!!

People were also smoking in the foyer of my hotel and near the breakfast room and in the railway station (while at work).

When I got home I noticed that everything I had taken with me smelled of stale smoke, it was that bad

It spoiled my visit a bit wich was a shame because apart from this I loved Vienna.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
8. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Sorry to learn that smoking in Vienna did cause problems for you.

Yes, many in Vienna smoke. Most all Public places such as Opera , museums etc. have no smoking or a least smoking only in a small designated area away from others and main areas.

Many restaurants have non- smoking dining rooms.

Places from the Cafe Weimar to Gösserbeerklinik have completly separate non smoking rooms directly from the front door.

A good friend of mine does not smoke and we always find a nice place to dine without any problems. You just must plan a little in advance, but easy to do.

Many hotels have non-smoking rooms and in many instances non smoking floors.

I ride public transport almost daily. I do not see anyone smoking on the vehicles themselves. One does see an occasional person smoking while waiting- the cigarette is thrown away before boarding.

In most U-bahn stations, you will see an ugly plastic character with sand around him to place cigarettes in to remind people to put their cigarettes out.

Most european cities are like this - Vienna no better - no worse.

But those who do not wish to be near smokers today can easily find non smoking places.

Los Angeles
reviews: 10
9. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

Yes, the smoke did put a little damper on my recent visit to Vienna. I remembered every time I walked pass the long corridor at the Stephanspl. station toward the Opernring exit, I had to stop breathing and trying to escape the smoke and smell. And at the Hotel Sacher's cafe, I'm sure my Sachertorte would have tasted much better if it were a smoke-free environment and with nicer waiters.

Next time I'll just have to better prepared in researching for some non-smoking restaurants and hotels.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 41
10. Re: Nonsmoking hotels and restaurants

to etphonehm. I am a non smoker myself

There are several other coffee houses which offers better service and also non smoking places then the Sacher cafe. eg Cafe Schwarzenberg