We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code in Vienna

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
Dress Code in Vienna

My wife and I will be traveling in Austria later this month and want to pack light. Is it necessary to pack a sport coat for good restaurant dining? This would also apply to Salzburg.

Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 9
1. Re: Dress Code in Vienna

A friend took us out to a very nice restaurant in Vienna and he wore a nice silk shirt, no tie or jacket. You may want to google the name of any places you would like to go to and it should say if that's required.

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 2
2. Re: Dress Code in Vienna

Vienna is a very formal city in all ways, from the dialect of German they speak to the way they dress. Not that you won't find folks dressed casually on the streets, but if you're planning on going out for nice dinners, I would recommend a sport coat. If you decide to eschew that, certainly at least take your button-down shirt, slacks and dress shoes.

I lived there for a semester in college, and got so used to the dressier attire that I was astounded when I'd travel and see more than a handful of people wearing jeans!