We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bratislava Trip

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mannheim, Germany
reviews: 31
Bratislava Trip

I have been trying to figure out how much a train ticket to Bratislava (day trip) would cost online, but the webpage does not list a price. Has anyone made this trip?

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Bratislava Trip

Hi,

If you are in Vienna, you could go to Bratislava (day trip) by Twin City Liner.

Here is a link for you to check it. It even offer a package trip to Bratislava.

ddsg-blue-danube.at/english/…e_tcl_fp2.asp

Buses from Vienna depart from the Sudtirolerplatz Bus Terminal, usually stopping by the Wien Schwechat Airport along the way. They run regularly and the trip lasts about 1 hour 35 minutes (1 hour 10 minutes from the Schwechat airport).

Here is the link. You may choose leaving from Vienna or from Vienna Airport.

www.eurolines.at/online_buchen1_en.php…

Good luck!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
2. Re: Bratislava Trip

The train is an easy trip. They did have a special price of 14 euro round trip. Hopefully this still works.

Mannheim, Germany
3. Re: Bratislava Trip

Peekaboo,

This actually looks very nice, but expensive. It would cost nearly 100 Euros for my husband and I to take a return trip ticket. I'm trying to find out if there is a cheaper way to go. It seems that train travel in Austria is quite expensive.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 70
4. Re: Bratislava Trip

Hi again,

I could understand what you meant. Anyway like Vertical said, you could go by train from Vienna. I found this on the oebb, train to Bratislava and it is for 14 Euro.

Here is the link.

oebb.at/vip8/…Ausflugs_special_ticket.jsp

Hope you will find the best way to go there.

Mannheim, Germany
5. Re: Bratislava Trip

Thank you both! This is exactly what I was looking for and unable to find.

Mannheim, Germany
6. Re: Bratislava Trip

Hello,

I have one more question about the EURegio Excursion ticket to Bratislava from Wien. Am I limited to only travel on the ER trains? Or can I also take the REX, R, or ZR as well?

One part of the webpage states:

oebb.at/vip8/…Ausflugs_special_ticket.jsp

Round trip in 2nd class on select routes of EURegio and regional trains of the border-crossing public metropolitan and suburban commuter railway systems.

And then at the bottom for the particular ticket I want to purchase (EUREGIO EXCURSION TICKET):

Round trip in 2nd class within 4 days on ALL TRAINS.

I wouldn't want to find out on the train that I have indeed boarded the wrong train.

Thank you again for your excellent help and time! It has helped to make our trip a true adventure.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 30
7. Re: Bratislava Trip

You can take every train regardless of type between Vienna and Bratislava. Trains heading for the main station in Bratislava can also be boarded at "Wien-Simmering", the termination point of subway line U3. The proposed Bratislava ticket can be obtained at every ticket vending machine by pressing a few buttons. Very very easy - you can also use your credit card.

If you are interested in pictures, please visit my short trip report (in German)

www.flughafen-aspern.at/forum/viewtopic.php…

It would be expensive to buy a 4-day pass just to prevent boarding the wrong train.

Mannheim, Germany
8. Re: Bratislava Trip

Thank you for your help. And the photos on the link you provided are sehr schoen!

Mannheim, Germany
9. Re: Bratislava Trip

I have completed my day trip to Bratislava and wanted to provide some details for anyone else who may want to make the same journey:

You can purchase a ticket at the train station from the ticket machine for 14 Euros per person. The ticket is valid for any train traveling to and from Vienna and Bratislava and is also valid for public transportation in Bratislava. The ticket option is on the main screen of the ticket machine in the upper right hand corner. You select the general EU Reggio option and then a screen appears where you can select the destination - takes less than one minute.

There are many trains (every 15 min to 1 hour) departing for Bratislava from the Sudbahnhof (Ost). My recommendation is to take a train to the main station in Bratislava - Bratislava Hlavna stanica - as there are many more viable options to find the city center. The other train station option is Bratislava-Petrzalka. This train station is newer and nicer, but further from the city center with no signs directing people which bus to take or which path to walk to find it.

Bratislava - Petrzalka: Take bus 80 and exit the first stop after you cross the bridge and the Bratislava Castle is directly on the hill to your left. You can then walk straight or take the first staircase on the right to directly enter the center.

Bratislava - Hlavna stanica: Tram 13 offers direct transport to the city center, or take the 15 minute walk which I recommend. The area from this station to the center city is much nicer than the trip from Petrzalka to the center. To walk from this station, exit from the main entrance and follow the street where the buses are lined up. Turn left onto Stefanikova and follow it the entire way to the center. You are one street away from the center ring once you see the guarded Presidential Palace.

There are many tourist offices where you can acquire a free map, but it is just a map, no real information about the city or sites. Many will try to sell you a map for 100 koruna ($4), I would avoid this.

The part of the city of historical interest is not that big. One could really see everything in a few hours and carry on. There are many restaurants in the center, however, they are all ranging 99 -250 koruna for cheaper meals ($4 -$10). It is difficult to determine restaurant prices, however, because most restaurants do not post them. Perhaps one must ask to view a menu before dining to reduce the surprise high bill effect. And, it is true that not everyone speaks English or German so be prepared.

The people of Bratislava dress very well. It is not advisable to dress in sloppy or overly casual attire when visiting. It is difficult to find information about the city and sites, so even though I usually do not recommend tours, this would be a nice way to become acquainted with the city and learn more detailed information.

Last, there are VERY few signs in any other language than Slovak which does not resemble German, French, English or Italian in any way (those are the only languages I have studied; it may not resemble other languages beyond that as well).

I hope this helps anyone traveling to Bratislava.

england
reviews: 68
10. Re: Bratislava Trip

italytravelers can i ask please do you know of the time of the last train back to vienna?? we are wanting to go there by boat but return by train as the boat dont really give you enough time to visit. and also is there somewhere we can park the car in vienna for the day?