We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in July

Which Kitzbuhel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
8 posts
walking in July

Have just booked holiday in Kitzbuhel in July this year and would be interested to know about walking opportunities in the area. We are not serious walkers but could cope with gentle walks over a 2-3 hour period. Could anyone advise us about this and also about type of footwear required? Thanks!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: walking in July

Many possibilities - you will be able to get a map of the area. It is particularly nice to walk in the higher areas which can be accessed by cable car. There is also a lake you can walk to.

Although it is possible to get by in trainers if the weather is good, would recommend something with support for the ankles. You will also need lightweight waterproof clothing as the weather can be very changeable.

If you've not been before - Austria is a beautiul country, but don't be persuaded to book too many organised excursions. It is quite easy to get around on public transport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: walking in July

I was in Austria, Jun 2012 it was very very hot.

Sensible walking shoes will be fine.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: walking in July

The temperature in Austria can vary a lot - one year we needed fleeces and coats, another it was too hot to walk anywhere down in the valleys. And both holidays were in July/August!

Level Contributor
16,858 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: walking in July

So true re the weather contrasts in summer.We have been particularly unfortunate weatherwise on our last few annual June walking holidays in SkiWelt area to the extent that we think the financial risk is now too great. And yet 2 years ago we were in Zell am See in June and the max daytime temperatures got to 36C.Far too hot for comfort and it wouldn't be nice walking in the mountains in that sort of heat.

It was a long time ago,I reckon 18 years,and I walked from the pet zoo (minibus from Ellmau village to there) up to Gruttenhutte on a steaming hot day in June.Man alive it was hot and I sweated buckets.But what a walk and the views from the track down into the valley were stupendous.Even saw a snake on the track.

Re walking in summer.There is a plethora of marked and mapped walks in the SkiWelt area near Ellmau (a short bus ride from Kitz).

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: walking in July

Hi. You'll have a great time! Although 'sensible' shoes should be fine for level walks I would think it well worth getting yourselves walking boots - there are some great lightweight, waterproof ones in all the outdoor shops - get them now and walk them in.

A lovely start to your holiday would be to walk to the Schwarzsee (the black lake) - it's about half an hour from Kitz - ask your rep which road to take or check the map. There's a lovely cafe for a refreshment stop, then you can walk around the lake - it's only about half an hour - before walking back - or there is a train station to go back the one stop.

Another lovely level walk is to catch the train to Kirchberg, have a look around the village then walk back to Kitz - one to two hours from memory.

There are two lifts - one up the Hannenkam the other up the Kitzbulerhorn. There are easy downhill walks from each of the top stations - get a map and a book. There are also lovely refreshment stops! If you want a trip to another village you can also try St Johann - you can go on the train. It's a pleasant little village with a brewery to look around.

Hope this helps!

Glasgow, United...
8 posts
6. Re: walking in July

thanks to everyone who replied - very helpful information!

Glasgow, United...
8 posts
7. Re: walking in July

thanks for all the replies - very helpful!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
19,644 posts
783 reviews
8. Re: walking in July

got to agree with Nilsdesperanda, i have done all the walks suggested but the Kirchberg one did it from Kitzbuhel to Kirchberg and got the train back from there, lovely walk. At the top of both the Hannekam and the Kitzbulerhorn are bars/cafes where you can get a meal or a drink and well worth getting the lifts up and walking down. The whole area is just lovely and everyone is really friendly ,you will have a wonderuful time.

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: walking in July

Head to tourist office as soon as you arrive center of town. As in winter guided free walks Monday to Friday two guides, one being Engelbert work the summer season so as to facilitate all walking levels. You should really take a look and if it is not for you, you can do your own thing.Also keep a eye on the kitzbuehel tourist office web site nearer the time, as it will give you a good idea of arranged walks meeting points etc. Some people return year after year and are always surprised to do walks they havn't done before. remember you are on holiday breaks for coffee and lunch have a blast great way to enjoy kitzbuhel see all the surrouning areas without having to do the home work and meet people you may not meet otherwise. you can hire walkng poles from Engelbert. Also keep in mind you dont have to wait for summer I am just back from a week winter wander (winter walks) I like walking but would not call myself a mountain goat and had a ball. So from one who has been there done that and worn the tee-shirt and will be returning Go and enjoy make sure you Call into the tourist office if you dont you will regret it.

chester , england
3 posts
1 review
10. Re: walking in July

if you are walking on the flat, eg to the schwarzsee, or to kirchberg or st johann, then trainers would be fine. however if the kitz bug gets you, (and it gets a lot of people! they come back year after year) then you may easily get a little more adventurous, and i would strongly advise proper walking boots, and at the very least an anorak or cagoule (spelling??) . the weather in the tyrol is very changeable. . the biggest single hint though is to go walking with engelbert or madeleine. those two are perhaps the single biggest reason why so many go back to kitz year after year. they will take you to places you would never even have thought of, and you will have some absolutely spectacular walks. they are not a doddle , but are incredibly enjoyable and you will find yourselves walking with a group of between 6 and say 26 people mostly well above 30 years old, and generally more than half will be speaking good english. the best thing are the visits to the huts where good basic food is generally available.