We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

Which Innsbruck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

I am leaving from Venice going to Austria, and was planning to go to Salzburg for three nights. However, my flight plans changed, which left me with an extra day, before I go on to Munich. My question is ..... should I just add the extra day in Salzburg or should I instead first go to Innsbruck for a day, then on to Salzburg??

It seems as though the train ride to Innsbruck might be more scenic that going from Venice to Salzburg? Thoughts?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
reviews: 17
1. Re: Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

Hi,

I was going to suggest a day and night in Innsbruck (to see the alps), but I think with an extra day/night in Salzburg, I'd make the Berchtesgaden area a day trip (beautiful alpine scenery) from Salzburg. It's less than an hour away by bus I believe and 30 min. by car. See Berchtesgaden, Konigsee and the Jennerbahn cable car trip. All are within 15 minutes of one another. The Salzkammergut (lakes region) is also worth a day and about an hour from Salzburg.

Even if the train ride between Venice and Innsbruck is more scenic, it's better to be out and enjoying the alps in the Berchtesgaden area.

Paul

2. Re: Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

Thank you Paul. I had already planned one of my Salzburg days for a trip to Berchesgaden - I'm very excited about that. Knowing that, do you still think we should add the day in Salzburg? I also have some concern about going from Venice to Salzburg, and it sounds as if you have to take a bus and then get the train in Vilmach - as compared to a direct train from Venice to Innsbruck.

BTW, I will be travellling in mid September next year if that impacts your opinion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
reviews: 17
3. Re: Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

September should be ideal to travel. No impact on my opinion at all. We've been once in Sept. and many times is October. If Innsbruck is more direct and easier, go with that. Either way you travel you can't "lose". The alpine scenery around Innsbruck is all that and then some. If you're there on a clear day, head to the Nordkettenbahn trip. Fantastic.

www.nordkette.com

Paul

4. Re: Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

Thank you again Paul. I appreciate your input!

5. Re: Extra day in Salzburg or go to Innsbruck from Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 23, 2013