We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

Which Innsbruck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ayr, United Kingdom
reviews: 1
Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

Hi there,

I am flying in to Memmingem in Germany on 13/06/2012 and have my accommodation booked in a village near Innsbruck. How would anyone recommend as the best/most affordable way to get there? We are there for two weeks (me and my wife and 10 month old son) and are between either hiring a car or using the train when over there. We plan to maybe do about 5 days of sightseeing where we would like to go to Munich, Vaduz, St.Gallen, Salzburg, Bolzano, etc. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks and kind regards

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

I would rent a car-

Perhaps you save a little flying to this place - but not convenient for visitors.

Considering your planned trips auto would be handy.

Colorado Springs...
2. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

To compare car vs. train times and costs, go to www.bahn.de for the train information. Enter Memmingen Bahnhof for departure, the name of the town/village where you will be staying as destimnation, or if does not have a rauil connection, enter Innsbruck

The two adults can travel for EUR 29 on one ticket from Memmingen to Lindau.It's a discounted day ticket, called the Bayernkarte or Bavarian ticke.t Limitations: On weekdays you cannot start the trip before 9AM, and you can travel only on Regio trains. Your child travels for free.

From Lindau you will have to pay regyularfares. So check the fares from Lindau to your destimation. You can check this on www.oebb.at

I believe the Austriuan RR has a ticket similar to the Bayernkarte.

munich
reviews: 38
3. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

You didn't give exact village name (Seefeld perhaps) so difficult to advise how easy (or not) the use of public transport would be.

I would go for hire car (especially with a small child).

Ayr, United Kingdom
4. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

Hi thanks for your advise, seems a car may be the better option. Anyone know of any local car rental companies? We have a quote of £320 from Hertz for an economy model for the 2 weeks. Our driver is 26 and has over 5 years full clean license. Thanks and kind regards

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
5. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

Look to these consolidators - both respected firms - your auto from a recognized rental firm and most often at a cheaper price.

www.gemut.com

www.autoeurope.com

USA
reviews: 32
6. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

Costs aside, I would definitely use a car in that part of Europe. It's a lot easier and more flexible to get to the scenic, sometime out of the way, places.

7. Re: Memmingem to Innsbruck & getting around in Austria generally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:43 pm, June 18, 2013