We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raining non-stop - No time - what to do?

Which Salzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Raining non-stop - No time - what to do?

Hello there,

I had carved out an itinerary for 2 day trips (Hallstat+St Wolfgang) from Salzburg with my family (parents +wife+sister) with the help of Staff, liz and other TA destination experts.

I landed in salzburg yesterday. It has been raining non-stop since noon with hardly any breaks in between. It has really played spoil-sport to our plans. We could not see much yesterday and we do not have too much of water-proof gear.

Now today and tomorrow's forecast in Hallstat and St. Wolfgang area is continuous rains and clouds.

In this wet cloudy weather which does not seem to ease up, do you think I should do something else to make the most of this remaining trip?

I had planned to do Hallstat today. Should I continue to do that? It's 8.20am now.

I am trying not to be disappointed for the sake of my family. What would you advice?

Due to paucity of time, an urgent revert would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jaffrey

3 replies to this topic
Vienna
1. Re: Raining non-stop - No time - what to do?

Hello!

You don't mention how long you will stay in Salzburg, so it is hard to give any advice. The weather should be better tomorrow and on Saturday so I would postpone your two day trips to these days. I don't know what you have seen so far in Salzburg, but there are also some things to visit indoors: Mozart's birthplace and residence, the fortress (there are plenty of things to see also indoors), Hellbrunn palace, the cathedral and other churches in the center of the city and also several museums (such as the newly opened "DomQuartier")

Days trips from Salzburg that are worth to do even in rainy weather would be the ice caves in Werfen or the salt mines in Hallein.

Best regards, Christina

uk
reviews: 26
2. Re: Raining non-stop - No time - what to do?

I'd just continue as planned----the forcast is for rain showers but this is mountain weather and can change at any moment. The one item essential when visiting mountainous areas with changeable weather is wet weather clothing.' No such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing' Buy umbrellas and carry on. The museum in Hallstatt will be dry and the weather is always the same in the salt mine!! You could always break your journey in Bad Ischl and visit the Kaiser Villa and Zauners

Edited: 4:23 am, July 31, 2014
Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 46
3. Re: Raining non-stop - No time - what to do?

Agree with above.

Forecast for next two days looks much better. Ignore rain in the forecast it's the number of hours sunshine that is the clue. Bad Ischl for example Saturday 8 hours sunshine but 55% chance of rain. That means showers with lots of Sunshine in between. So just pack a waterproof and continue with your plans.

Reply to: Raining non-stop - No time - what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted