We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets

Which Salzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
reviews: 1
Christmas Markets

I have just read in another post about Christmas markets closing on the sunday before Christmas. We are arriving in Salzburg on Monday December 21. Information on other sites state the markets are open until 24 December then reopen on Dec 26. Does this mean all the christmas markets will be closed. We selected Salzburg to spend Christmas as our daughter researched Christmas markets and Salzburg were given the best write ups. Hope we haven't made a mistake.

Thanks

Jann 58

7 replies to this topic
Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 42
1. Re: Christmas Markets

I think you are referring to a post about the markets around Lake Wolfgang. They always close on the last Sunday before the 24th/25th.

The one's in Salzburg close later.

salzburg.info/en/…salzburg_christkindlmarkt

http://www.christkindlmarkt.co.at/English/

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 42
2. Re: Christmas Markets

Salzburg's Christkindlmarkt

November 20 - December 26, 2014

Christmas market on Mirabellplatz

November 20 - December 24, 2014

Hellbrunner Adventzauber

November 20 - December 24, 2014

Canberra, Australia
3. Re: Christmas Markets

Thanks. After I posted this question I found what looks like the offical site for Christmas markets. I nearly panicked. Now I can relax, and start to get really excited about having a cold christmas and maybe white if we are really lucky.

Thank you very much

Jann 58

Manchester UK
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
reviews: 65
4. Re: Christmas Markets

We are heading back to Salzburg for the Christmas Markets, (after our 1st visit in January) we think it'll be amazing and are hoping to see some snow,

Looking at doing teh Silent chapel on one of the evenings also

Can't wait, it's a wonderful city and you'll love it

Happy Holidays

Danny

Midlands, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
5. Re: Christmas Markets

The silent night chapel is not that great, to be honest. It's located on a patch of green in a very built up area. It's so tiny only two or three people can comfortably stand in it.

Canberra, Australia
6. Re: Christmas Markets

LizR

Thanks for that info. We were planning to do this as well. Not the picture I had in my head at all. Thats the trouble when I read something I automatically vizualize it.

Jann58

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 70
7. Re: Christmas Markets

Hi Jan,

We didn't do the silent night tour when we were there for Christmas in 2010, but instead enjoyed a traditional dinner on Christmas Eve and then went to the Cathedral for midnight mass which was a great experience. Didn't understand a word of the service, but knew most of the hymns and the atmosphere and acoustics were worth the visit.

We also had a white Christmas as it snowed Christmas Day, which was very special.

Reply to: Christmas Markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salzburg