We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

Which Salzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milford
reviews: 9
Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

We'll be ending our Austria trip in Salzburg. What is the best way to get from Salzburg to the Munich airport for our flight home?

6 replies to this topic
Florida
reviews: 31
1. Re: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

Take the train from Salzburg to Munich Ostbahnhof (east station). This station is right before the train goes on to Munich Hauptbahnhof (main station).

Get off the train and then take the S-8 train to the airport.

Usually, the two trains use the very same platform (opposite sides), so you just walk about 6 feet (2 meters) to change trains.

You'll probably get the best train fare by using the Bayern Ticket. Buy it at the Deutsche Bahn ticket office at the Salzburg train station.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
2. Re: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

Bayern ticket can be purchased in Salzburg from any of the DB Bahn, ÖBB, or Meridian ticket machines. No need to use a ticket office.

Bayern valid only on regional express trains which as of last December are run by a company called Meridian.

For timetables use

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Trains marked as DPN = Meridian trains that the Bayern is valid for.

Please be aware of Bayern ticket terms and conditions of use.

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

NH
reviews: 40
3. Re: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

I struggled with this. I wanted to get from Munich airport to Salzburg. option 1 was to take train/metro into Munich train station and then catch train. but if we were late arriving we would have to wait 2+ hours to get next train. after a full day of flying from USA via LHR that wasn't very exciting to me. I found a wonderful service (no thanks to my travel agent) called SMS http://www.flughafentransfer.at/

kiosk in the airport. greeted me as I walked up. the 3 of us taken right to van for easy drive right to hotel in Salzburg. about 60 euros each.

the same in reverse was available

uk
reviews: 26
4. Re: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

I don't understand this unless you were arriving in the early hours as from early morning the trains run half hourly reducing to hourly later in the evening.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
5. Re: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

The Meredian trains run hourly all day. Munich - Salzburg.

portsmouth
Destination Expert
for Mayrhofen
reviews: 39
6. Re: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport

depends on when you are going if you look on the web sites of the German or Austrian trains You can find tickets from 19€ each and yes you get the train to munich ost then the s8 to the airport which is very easy to do

Reply to: Transportation from Salzburg to Munich Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salzburg