We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Salzburg

Which Salzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HK
reviews: 7
Hiking in Salzburg

Anyone recommend a 2-hour to 4-hour hiking trail in Salzburg?

I have booked accommodation in Salzburg for 3 days and then 2 more days free.

So any nearby hiking trail so that I can return to town in Salzburg the same day? Or any trail a bit further so that I can stay in somewhere nearby for the hiking?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
1. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

You could catch a bus to the Untersberg Cable Car and go up the mountain.

salzburg.info/en/…cable_car_untersberg

Spectacular views and hiking. (Maps available at the base station)

Or you could catch the 150 bus to Fuschl and walk around the lake. Or bus 150 to St Gilgen and go up the Zwölferhorn in the cable car and walk down into St Gilgen or walk back to Fuschl then bus back to Salzburg.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
reviews: 35
2. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

yes. lake walk in fuschl is about 3 hours.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

Hello

is there a website with these bus schedules? Where do I catch these buses are they from the city center? How much do they cost?

Thanks

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
4. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

www.svv-info.at/en/timetables/trip-planner/

http://www.postbus.at/en/index.jsp

150 departs from the main station and Mirabellplatz plus other stops. Depends where you are staying.

Troy, New York
reviews: 62
5. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

Another good option is to go to Berchesgaden, go to the Konigsee, take a boat, go to salet, and walk around the area deep into the mountains. Obersee is a beautiful lake in the vicinity. It's a short,45 mins, bus ride from Salzburg.

I walked up the Kapuzinerberg and went quite far into the woods and came back, one could walk even further. I cant if you can spend a day, but you could spend a few hours. From a point you get a gorgeous view of the castle and the town. Also do the small catle to Modern Arts museum via Monchsberg trail

A little further away into Salzkammergut is my favorite hiking/walking area, the Gosau village and Gosausee area. You can read about it here : …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…

Edited: 2:32 am, May 31, 2014
Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
6. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

Quote "So any nearby hiking trail "

Forget Gosau it's too far away unless you have a car.

NH
7. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

Never having been some where makes it really hard to know the right thing to do. I wanted a hut-to-hut and/or village to village hike for my 2 teen age children an myself (but not a group hike) A few US based travel agents and tour operators had some ideas but they ranged from $3000-$6000 some without room/board.

After months of searching I found the Flachau Tourist board had a 6 night, 4 day hike. they arranged the accommodations, provided maps with routes. one hut in the alps (sudwienerhutte) and 3 nice pensions and hotels in villages. luggage brought village to village. meals. $1200 for 3 of us in a triple room. it was flawless and amazing. easy to following Austrian trails. friendly people everywhere. luggage always there when we arrived. average 6 hours hiking every day. most amazing views and hikes. my kids have forever been changed by this experience.

it started about 1 hour south of Salzburg in Flachau and ended up in wonderful village of Filzmoos. easy transportation to and from via taxi

arranged everything be email. while there are SO many places to hike in Austria this was one that I found to work without having to have a guide or pay huge amounts and I could feel confident in. I cant speak better about Flachau Tourism center

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
8. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

OP is not looking for a hut to hut hike over multiple days.

9. Re: Hiking in Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, yesterday