We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding in Central Europe

Which Salzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 13
Flooding in Central Europe

I don't want to be alarmist but travellers to Salzburg should know that the river Salzach is extremely high at the moment. If you're about to travel I'd check with your hotel in case there are any difficulties. The water has over-flowed in some of the suburbs.

Vienna
reviews: 54
1. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

The center of town should be fine as rain will get less but travelling into mountains and to Tyrol is very difficult. Train line from Salzburg to west of country cut off - going to Vienna no issue. Overall a big disaster in some areas.

Vienna
reviews: 54
2. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

Train line to Vienna is also cut off and you will get bus transfer. Salzburg city should be fine as water of Salzach is not rising.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
3. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

I believe the motorway from Munich to Salzburg is also shut.

Road from Bad Ischl - Ebensee and train line closed. Ebensee is flooded.

The river Traun in Obertraun has burst over the banks and the village is flooded.

Bad Ischl

The river Traun has very nearly gone over the top of the river bank. The Ischl stream which takes water from Lake Wolfgang is up 2.2m and is a metre over the flood warning level.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
4. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

Passau

They are expecting 12m which is higher than the flood of the century in 2002.

So two floods of a century 11 years apart!!!!!!!!

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
5. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

Thanks for the tip, Liz - I looked at the pictures and it looks very scary, though good to know the water is no longer rising in the city of Salzburg. Are you there at the moment? Steyr looks like it took a big hit - again - with two big rivers running through the town centre, they always get it bad. Sorry to hear Bad Ischl is in danger of flooding, Staff - I love the town and would hate to see it get overrun just when they are gearing up for the summer season :-(

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
6. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/output/html/oester…

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
7. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

Ebensee is a disaster area.

Drinking water now contaminated. Fire brigade are getting ready for a mass evacuation if waters continue rising.

Still unknown how much more water will come down from the inner Salzkammergut. All the water flows into the Traun which then flows into the Danube. Anywhere down river on the Danube is going to be really badly affected. The photos coming out of Linz look incredible.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
8. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

My advice if you are travelling is to check with your Hotel/Apartment owners that they are still open and if there are any road or rail closures.

Hallstatt is also flooded. For those who are familiar with the car park next to the Heritage Hotel (Where the ferry from the train station comes in). It's completely submerged under water and the Heritage Hotel itself was shut today.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
9. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

Bad Ischl town centre is under water.

So sad.

Midlands, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 13
10. Re: Flooding in Central Europe

…derstandard.at/2013/06/02/1369392221137-4St…