We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hallstatt photo question and walking question

Which Salzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, Virginia
reviews: 86
Hallstatt photo question and walking question

Hi All,

If we go to Hallstatt, we will arrive by car rather than train/ferry. Will this prevent me from taking that classic Hallstatt photo with the water and the church? Or is there a location on land to get a similar shot?

Since we will be arriving by car, I understand there are 3 parking lots to park in. Since my husband will be in a walking boot, I want to be sure we park in the most convenient lot for him. Any thoughts on which one this might be? Or am I just being unrealistic? Is the walk a significant distance from the parking area to the main part of the village (meaning the most picturesque spots)?

Thanks so much for your help and input!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
1. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

I personally think that taking a cruise on this lake is a "must" for every visitor. Those coming by train need to take the ferry in any case, so they automatically get the great views. You can also take great pictures on land but I am neither a photographer, nor a resident of Hallstatt so that I could give sound advice on that. There is a parking lot close to the center of Hallstatt but situated slightly higher. In order to reach the town you need to either take a footpath with steps or great inclination.

Edited: 7:09 am, July 14, 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
2. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

Thanks, Mikey! I wonder if there is parking at the train station and then we could ferry across? Hmm, will have to check that out. Probably not, or not allowed as I am sure others would have done this. But worth checking. I will also check on boat trip options in Hallstatt. thank you!

Minneapolis...
reviews: 43
3. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

I am an avid photographer and you have to see Hallstatt from the water. Not only do you get the best photos of the town but also of the mountains. Just ride the ferry to the train round trip. I don't remember if there was a parking lot by the train station, but the town is small enough that you can walk to the train station from anywhere in the town.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 39
4. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

We parked just through the tunnel in town. There are signs for parking at the funicular going up to the salt mine.

All I remember is once you get through the tunnel, there is a road on the right. Turn there and follow the blue parking signs. From there, its a short walk to the funicular, easy walk into town and you are closet the boat.

Try the rotisserie chicken right there by the water. It's delish!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
5. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

The train station of Hallstatt is here: http://goo.gl/maps/k14P

I would get into Hallstatt by car the normal way and then either take the ferry to the train station (and back) or take one of the boat tours available.

http://www.hallstattschifffahrt.at/english/

London, United...
reviews: 132
6. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

In case you need more shots than from the boat, the classic shot you are after is as follows: With the ferry landing stage at your back, head past the heritage hotel, turn right & through an archway. Walk uphill on the main road into the village for about 3 minutes. Best shots are in the morning. Have fun, it's beautiful.

Leesburg, Virginia
7. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

Just an update on what I did. We actually rented a little electric powered boat and took the boys out on the lake for an hour. It was PERFECT! Not at all expensive and the boys loved it! My pictures turned out just like I wanted! Thank you!!!!

8. Re: Hallstatt photo question and walking question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 12, 2013