We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train symbols

Which Graz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 10
Train symbols

Can anyone tell me which type of train is represented by the blue symbol with white squiggly line through it? I am guessing it's a slower train? (S bahn S3 appears next to it). I am looking for a direct train between Graz and Budapest and this is the only one that appears. Does anyone know if the seating is coach style or booths? Would there be much difference between first and second class?

This train takes about the same time as other trains with 1 or 2 connections going through Vienna (but only 6 minutes to change trains, with heavy luggage). Any suggestions about which train would be better? I won't be in a big rush or anything - and am worried I would not make that 6 minute connection in Vienna so the direct train seems less stressful.

Thanks!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
1. Re: Train symbols

I think you are talking about the ÖBB route planner.

Yes that symbol means a S Bahn Suburban train.

If you expand the route on the left then click on S3 you get the full route detail. Train changes number as it goes along the route.

S 3 (Train-No. 4700), Direction: Szentgotthard (Graz Hbf --> Fehring)

R 4700, (Fehring --> Szentgotthard)

IC 917, Direction: Budapest-Keleti (Szentgotthard --> Budapest-Keleti)

It's about the only direct train. 2 x Railjet trains will get you there quicker.

Change in Vienna.

Edited: 5:05 am, August 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: Train symbols

Thanks. According to the OBB site, there is only about a 15 minute time difference - whether I take a fast train through Vienna - or the Suburban direct train. I would take a fast train but 6 minutes is not enough connection time for me in Vienna with heavy luggage - and not knowing exactly where I am supposed to go!

Besides the slower train ride, can you please tell me if there is a big difference in the comfort level of this type of train versus the faster train? Do you know if it will be coach style or booths?

I wonder if a bus would be a better choice. I won't be in a big rush and like to enjoy the scenery.

Thanks for your info.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
3. Re: Train symbols

The ÖBB trip planner displays a "S" train to Budapest but in the end it isn't a S-train (suburban train) throughout Budapest. When you click on the train service, the entire itinerary is shown. You can see that the train service (and the respective route numbers) changes twice. That means that there actually is one car embedded in the (first) train that is transfered to another one twice. For you it is a direct service, technically isn't one.

If the times of the "direct" service suit you and you do not mind being on a slow-moving train, then you don't have to go via Vienna. The Railjet though is much more comfortable!

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: Train symbols

Thanks. I realize there are routes changes/stops but I don`t have to get off to transfer. That is what I meant by direct service. I'll take the railjet if you can get it to wait for me in Vienna :) haha

5. Re: Train symbols

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Graz