We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

Which Graz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 108
Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

We are travelling to Graz via Vienna airport this week and need to know how to get to the correct station (Südbahnhof?) to catch the train to Graz, the frequency of trains, whether these are direct or involve a change, and the approx. cost. Is it cheaper to book in advance or on arrival. Haven't been to Graz in 20 years so don't want to rely on my memory of transport connections from back then. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Vienna
1. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

The correct station name is WIEN MEIDLING. Südbahnhof doesn't exist any more. The only direct connection from the airport to Wien Meidling is by bus, Vienna Airport Lines (8 Euros one way). It takes approximately 35-40 minutes.

If you really want to do everything by train then take the S7 towards Floridsdorf from platform 1 (always at the minutes 18 and 48 past the hour)and get out at the 7th station, RENNWEG. Take the opposite platform and take any train that is not going again to the airport or Wolfsthal. 4 stations later you arrive at Wien Meidling.

If you buy your ticket entirely from the airport to Graz and if you only use the train, then the ticket one way for, let's say, 2 persons costs 73,80 Euros.

Usually there are cheaper fares available, but I don't think you will find them if travelling this week as the advanced ticketing is only avaiulable 72 hours prior of departure.

There is a frequent direct service form Wien Meidling available.

Check timetables and buy your online ticket at www.oebb.at/en

Regards

Ottavio N.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 108
2. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

That's great info, thank you, Ottavio!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
3. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

Taking the airport express bus directly to Wien-Meidling Station would be the best option.

Wilkesboro, North...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

Will be to Graz for 1 week and want to visit Vienna for the weekend. What is the best way to travel from Graz to Vienna. Leave Friday morning and return sunday afternoon (june 2013). suggestions on a great place to stay while there in Vienna

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
5. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

Train: www.oebb.at/en

Cairo, Egypt
6. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

Dear

I will go to conference at graz for 3 days from 10 July to 12 July 2013.

I want to know the different ways to go from Vienna to graz?

and good hotels with good price at graz and near graz university of technology.

London, United...
7. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

I just made this trip yesterday; what I'm about to say is no more than an expanded version of austriatourism's post above.

The significant advantage of doing the whole thing by train is cost saving. Buying a ticket at the automatic machines in Vienna Airport station all the way to Graz costs literally a couple of Euros more than the ticket from Vienna Meidling (Wien Meidling as written locally) to Graz.

Vienna airport to Graz entirely by train is no great shakes, but I'd allow one and a half hours from Vienna airport to Wien Meidling station. It should take just about an hour, but the trains might be as much as twenty minutes' wait if you're unlucky.

Basically, you'll go towards the centre of Vienna, and then change train to go back out of Vienna in a different direction towards Wien Meidling (full name seems to be Philadelphiabruke Bahnhof Wien Mediling) station.

From Vienna airport, you have two choices.

You can take the CAT (a big green train that goes direct from Vienna airport to Wien Mitte), and at Wien Mitte change train. This is more expensive, though, as I think you have to have a special (extra) ticket. The train takes the same route as the other trains, just doesn't stop anywhere else. I advise taking the slower service - it's really not that much slower.

The slower and cheaper service; so, from Vienna Airport the train line is simple - only one line, two directions, so just check the map on the platform against the sign telling you where the train is going, to ensure you're going in the right direction, and get off a few stops later at Rennweg.

Rennweg has only two platforms, so simply cross to the other platform. You're now on the correct platform. From here, the trains will go one of two ways; back towards the airport, or the other branch. You want the other branch. Again, there's no great trick to it. Look at the map on the wall, and at the sign overhead telling you where the train is going, and make sure you get on the right one. The ones going to the airport usually even have a little plane symbol next to them on the overhead board, so that's helpful.

At Wien Meidling find an overhead departures sign. The trains that run to Graz finish there, so you'll see one simply marked "Graz" in big letters. Easy.

8. Re: Getting from Vienna airport to Graz by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, August 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Graz