We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krampus

Which Graz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Krampus

We are going to Austria specifically to see the Krampus festivities. Has anyone out there seen the event in both Salzburg and Graz? Obviously can't do both, so wondering which one puts on the best show/is most accessible/most fun!

31 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
1. Re: Krampus

Did you get any information this? I would love to find the best places to see the Krampus processions too!!

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Krampus

Hi, I've decided to spread ourselves around and hope for the best! I've found lots of towns have different dates so we will be in: Graz on 2nd December, in Salzburg 5th and 6th, then a little town called Bad Goisern on 7th. I figure we should manage to catch at least one (if not all) the processions in these towns.

The dates are good for this year - and will probably be different next year.

Krampus groupies rule!

Nuremberg, Germany
3. Re: Krampus

In Graz on 2nd December starting at 4 pm at Herrengasse

graztourismus.at/cms/…_1

On 5th in Salzburg several runs at 17:00, 17:30 and 19:00

salzburg.info/en/…

In Bad Goisern on 7th at 17:00

im-salzkammergut.at/veranstaltungshighlights…

Edited: 9:37 am, October 16, 2012
Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Krampus

Wow, thanks for that info! Saves me a panicked search the day before we leave.

Barnsley, United...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Krampus

Hi we have seen them in Bad Gastein and in Kaprun. great night they had a fire in the street, thumping music great atmosphere and strange beasts!!

6. Re: Krampus

Hello! Does anyone know if this date is 'relative'? We are planning on attending this procession in Graz, December 2013 for our honeymoon. Planning on flying into Vienna and working our way directly to Graz by Train. Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Mason City, Iowa
reviews: 101
7. Re: Krampus

We've been in Salzburg and have witnessed the Krampus activities, and believe me, it's well worth it. They have something on the 21st as well. The sounds of the cow bells, screaming, getting whipped by horse tails...all so strange/awesome.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Krampus

Hi all - thought I would answer my original question. We have just caught Krampuslauf in Graz, Salzberg and a small town called Bad Goisern (all in Austria).

All are worth a look, and yes, the dates will all vary a little but they are usually based around 5/6th December.

Graz was the first one we attended on December 2. If you want a well-organised parade in a charming old town WITH Christmas markets and kiddie rides etc, this one is for you. The Krampus, while seriously creepy-looking creatures - try not to scare the littlies. A good spectacle with easy access for the tourist (although we didn't come across any non-Austrians).

Salzberg had a rabble of Krampus (generally up to about 20) on several nights either side of the 5th. Good fun, as they basically run though the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town monstering anyone foolish enough to bring a car through. They are not averse to some tourist-whipping, either. But you can tell this one is put on for a bit of tourist fun (as are most activities in Salzberg). Still worth a look.

Best by a long way was Bad Goisern on Dec 7. A bit tricky to get to, and I suspect the date varies a little, but SO worth the effort. They claimed to have 1000 Krampus - of all ages, and from all the surrounding villages. You could see the different styles of Krampus from each individual village. And these Krampus threw themselves across barriers to whip at the crowds with their bundles of birch twigs (and who among us could honestly say they hadn't deserved a whipping for SOMETHING they did wrong during the year). Fire extinguishers were placed along the parade route - always the sign of a good Krampuslauf. In fact, I now believe if a parade doesn't have the possibility of some form of injury to participants or spectators, it probably isn't worth travelling to see. There were open fires on trucks, Krampus dragging metal containers of open flames, children with flaming candles next to feathery angel-wings, and some sort of firearm resembling an overweight sawn-off shotgun which launched loud explosive devices that showered everyone with cinders. You look at our Occ Health and Safety-conscious society and just KNOW we couldn't have anything like a rollicking-good Krampuslauf here.

I believe many small southern Austrian towns have Krampuslauf. If you can work it into your itinery, do Graz and then a small town Krampuslauf. You will learn so much more about their society in the small towns. Ask questions about Krampuslauf and you will be amazed at the variety of answers you will receive.

Whichever towns you choose, I can guarantee you will have a fantastic time at these fascinating events.

Mason City, Iowa
reviews: 101
9. Re: Krampus

That sounds really interesting! We've done the Krampus festivities in Salzburg twice. We'll definitely have to check out the others.

California
reviews: 1
10. Re: Krampus

Have you found any info on the 2013 dates? I'm also trying to plan a trip next winter and would like to catch the show!

Reply to: Krampus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Graz