We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: bus/train from Hallstatt to Venice?

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 1
Help: bus/train from Hallstatt to Venice?

Hello, I was going to book train tickets for my friend and me to go from Hallstatt to Venice, but now that I'm looking closely, I see that it is at least partially via bus (I'm looking at the oebb.at website).

This is for 20.05.2014, and I'm looking at the option of departing Hallstatt 07:32 and arriving Venezia 16:25. The details show:

Hallstatt to Stainach-Irdning to Bischofshofen to Villach Hbf to to Villach Hbf (Busbahnhof) Venezia Tronchetto

Can anyone shed light on this? Is this the best cheap way to get to Venice? Anything I should be aware of? Am I supposed to select the options to make reservations for an addition 6 euro each? It says reservations are compulsory for the one Villach to Venezia but that one is 0 euro.

I'm just confused and wanted to check in with some 'experts' before committing to the tickets! Thank you!

Vienna
1. Re: Help: bus/train from Hallstatt to Venice?

Hello Brittany,

The Option by bus from Villach would definitely be the fastests and also cheapest one. From Villach there are no trains to Venice, just the state Intercity bus.

If you would like to go by train you would have to travel to Innsbruck first and then on to Venice over Verona. This trip would take about 2 hours longer and would also cost more, so the option with bus is definitely better.

There is no need to make reservations for the train. You will be taking 3 different trains and on each you will only spend y a short time, so even if you don't find a place to sit (which is VERY unlikely) you might have to stand for maybe an hour, but you can still board the train.

For the bus you need to make a reservation as the number of seats are limited and your ticket is only valid on the one seleceted particular bus (tickets for trains without seat reservation are generally valid on any train in a particular direction). That is why you are forced to make a "reservation" for the intercity bus but this is already considered in the cost of the ticket price, so it doesn't involve any additional costs.

So go ahead with booking as long as the price of 33 € is still available (it will get more expensive when the cheap SparSchiene tickets sell out) and don't bother making reservations for the trains.

Best regards, Christina

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 30
2. Re: Help: bus/train from Hallstatt to Venice?

It is (moreless) the only way by public transport! As you travel from a remote area in the Alps to a city in an other country, it takes logically some time and transfers. Alternatively, you could catch the direct night train service [coming from Vienna] from Attnang-Puchheim Station where the Salzkammergut railway line (serving Hallstatt) meets the main railway line. That would reduce the number of change to only 1. Only downside would be the waiting time there resulting from the fact that the last train from Hallstatt to Attnang-Puchheim leaves quite early.

Edited: 2:33 am, April 12, 2014
3. Re: Help: bus/train from Hallstatt to Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2015