We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 35
Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

Does this seem feasible with limited time. I will be taking the train from Vienna to Munich, bypassing Salzburg for the sake of seeing my sister who is having a baby. I figure i would spend the weekend in Munich and then drive instead of taking the train to Salzburg or would train make more sense if I want to see both Salburg and Hallstatt.

I hard that weekend traffic is bad so i figure I would wait until Sunday to drive.

Sun Morning, Mar 17 Drive to Salzburg

Mar 18- day drive to Hallstatt and back to Salzburg or stay over night in Hallstatt and drive back to Munich from there on Mar 19th. I need to be back in Munich of Mar 19th as we friend has early flight out.

Or

Should i do Salzburg by train from Vienna on March 14, my concern was being able to see the lakes and such without a car. Can they be visited on foot from old town or via public transportation. (and then onto Hallstatt and then to Munich instead by Mar 17)

Also how would parking be in Salzburg and Hallstatt

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
1. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

The Salzkammergut (Lake District) is very easy to explore using public transport out of Salzburg.

Or maybe base yourself in Bad ISchl for a few days.

Centre of the lake district and easy train/bus access to Lake Traunsee, Hallstatt, Wolfgang.

I would look at a map and work out how many days you have and try to work out a logical route that avoids doubling back on yourself.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 30
2. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

So you pass through Salzburg (on your way to Munich) in order to see your

sister, continue to Munich and thereafter you want to go back to Salzburg?

New York
3. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

Mikey- yep...i know it is a backwards way of doing stuff to go to Munich first but I figured I can drop off all my heavy luggage, and have the ease of renting a car but i have concerns about parking in Salzburg.

New York
4. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

In addition, i actually dont have much time for these side trips only from Mar 17-19 (which is about 2 days). With only that much time, can I just do Salzburg and Hallstatt by car with overnight in hallstatt

New York
5. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

Ca i easily do a day trip from Salzburg to hallstatt by train...

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
6. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

If you use the search facility there are loads of topics on how to get to Hallstatt on the train.. It's a 5 hour round trip.

New York
7. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

ok - no need to respond to this any longer. i will do more research

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
8. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

More info

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190427-i9621-k5…

New York
9. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

Staff- saw that...thanks!

10. Re: Salzburg and Hallstatt (no Innsbruck)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 13, 2014