We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station to the City to the Ruin

Which Durnstein hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 60
Train Station to the City to the Ruin

I will be visiting Wachau Region on one of my Vienna-trip days around end of November, and I aim to go directly to Durnstein which is right in the center of this World Heritage Sites.

I plan to take a train from Wien to Durnstein with an exchange in Krems, and going back the same way. The logic would be, this is my first time going alone during winter, and I'd better go straight to where I want to. And since it's winter, the Melk-Krems bike ride seems almost impossible.

I have several questions before making a complete itinerary.

- is Durnstein train station far from the center? around how long walking distance?

- my aim is to go up to the Richard the Lionheard ruin to get a very fantastic spot to take pictures of the Wachau Region from the hill. Is it a hard hike? (especially during winter)

- is Durnstein still 'alive' during winter? (for the wine sip, or lunch)

looking forward to the enlightments, and thanks so much in advance :-)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: Train Station to the City to the Ruin

Most things in Dürnstein close by the end of October.

Still, it is worth a visit at most anytime as it assumes another character in the " offseason "

The bahnhof / Train station is just east of the village. This just a 5 minute walk to the village center.

Two different pathways exist to walk tom the Ruins. This takes 15- 20 minutes depending on your stops.

To me the easier walk is that found beginning just across the street from the Raiffeisen Bank - this just before you enter through the town gate.

The way partly on a paved street and you pass numerous houses as you begin.

As you leave the train - just walk downhill a very short distance to the street and turn right . Just before crossing the one 2 lane roadway, you will see a small supermarket on the right ( modern white building with apartments above it.)

They are open until 12:00 There easy to buy bread , meat , cheese , snacks drinks . You can take these way to the ruins and enjoy your own picnic.

Unlikely to have any snow on the path. Some rocks but no trouble to walk there.

Great views of the Danube and surroundings at the ruins. These date from the 1100s.

Nice to walk along the old stone streets to view the 14-15th century buildings.

The Stift Church is closed for the season too except for Church services Sunday at 9:30.

Some few shops may be open especially at the beginning of Advent on the weekend. Last weekend of November. Perhaps a small celebration in the village center too.

The Heuriger Stoger is open November 6- 21

Heuriger Pfaffinger open November 22- December 2.

www.winzerhof-stoeger.at

Stoger usually opens about 12:00

Pfaffinger later in the afternoon 4PM perhaps.

Both are at the west end of the village - this downhill from the Schloss Dürnstein Hotel .

Added info about Dürnstein

www.duernstein.at

Krems where you change trains can be interesting too.

The train stationn in the center of town and the main sights and shopping street just a short walk.

www.krems.at

Perhaps you may find some bikes still available for rent at severall kiosks.

These self - service

www.leihradl.at

in good weather a nice way to see more ( note you can not ride up to the ruin.)

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 60
2. Re: Train Station to the City to the Ruin

Thank you so much Vertical!

Really what I'm looking for :-)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
3. Re: Train Station to the City to the Ruin

I forgot to mention one place frequently overlooked in Dürnstein and many other towns-

That of the village graveyard ( friedhof)

These are usually near the village Church.

I the case of Dürnstein near the village door and up a few steps ( an old Church formerly there )

These show a little of the culture and changing styles of the people.

Most all are well kept with flowers of all types, often with candles burning.

In Dürnstein an old chapel from the 1500s is by the center of the graveyard and now a memorial to those fallen in wars.

4. Re: Train Station to the City to the Ruin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 26, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Durnstein