We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River cruise question

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 68
River cruise question

Hi all,

I will be in Melk for two nights in late May and will be taking a cruise to Kerm and back. I see I can buy a two way ticket with either of the main cruise companies but I just want to confirm that by buying a two way ticket I will be able to get off the boat and explore the small towns, say Durnstein, and get back on another boat to continue the journey, get off at Kerm and explore that town and then catch a later boat back to Melk.

Also is there a ferry across the river at Spitz, as I would be interested in visiting the Burgruine Aggstein, is it possible to get off the river cruise at Spitz, cross the river and make my way to this castle without any mode of transport, other than public transport or walking?

Thanks in advance.

Russmel

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: River cruise question

Look carefully at the schedules as you may not have the time you think you have to do all you wish.

Yes you can buy roundtrip ticket Melk- Krems- Melk.

Again schedule dictates your stops.

Krems and Dürnstein are just 7-10 kilometers apart - A hourly bus connects them and this may assist with your plans.

info on Krems and Dürnstein

www.krems.at

www.duernstein.at

Most sights are some distance from the boat docks in Krems - 3- 5 kilometers and will take some time to access.

The Durnstein bus begins at the train station in central Krems and thus convenient.

Bost docks are in the center of Dürnstein

Ferry crossings in this area of the Danube -

Dürnstein - small boat for passengers and bikes.

Weissenkirchen-

ferry with room for 3 autos - passengers , bikes.

Spitz -

same type of ferry as in Weissenkirchen. This ferry just adjacent to the Danube boat docks

For Aggstein- it is between Spitz and Melk - on the Melk side of the river- this is 5+- kilometers from Spitz . But then you must ascend several hundred meters in height and perhaps 2-3 kilometers to the castle itself- worth a visit but only if you are willing to make the journey.

A bus line WL 2 runs along this side of the river but not frequent- consider a bike ?

These available for cheap rental

www.leihradl.at

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 68
2. Re: River cruise question

Thanks Vertical,

Sounds like I should split my goals across the two days and ride from Melk to Aggstein on one day and then take the river cruise on the other, would you agree with this?

If so how much time would you think is needed to view the abbey at Melk, as I will be arriving in Melk at about 11 am and would have to fit Aggstein and the abbey into that day. Is this to ambitious?

Thanks again great information.

vienna
Destination Expert
3. Re: River cruise question

I would agree with the idea of splitting . Perhaps some depends on the weather .

Melk Abbey can be done without regard to weather ( Abbey itself )

A tour if you take one will last just more than an hour.

But this easily done by yourself in tourist season.

The museum rooms are very interesting to some and may take longer to see depending on your wishes.

The terrace with Danube views worth some minutes especially for photos.

The Abbey has nice gardens too - again depending on your wishes.

The restaurant at the east end of the Abbey is okj and a plus for tourists . Smoking and non smoking rooms.

In summer a nice garden.

2-3 hours perhaps - again depending on likes / dislikes.

Sometimes it seems more tourists there in the morning - coming by bus or ship.

Aggstein- if biking there - no fun with bad weather.

Take the bike route on the Melk side of the Danube- / right side.

The bike way was improved several yearsmago and is very nice .

A climb coming out of Melk and then again at Aggstein.

Rememer the Castle sits relatively high above the river .

Check opening times. This is an interesting place and a look at the river life of the petty " Kings " - they collecting tolls for use of the river and ruling local population.

Those ruling Aggstein for many years were also an influence in Dürnstein and other places too.

A plus is for your visit in may - long hours of daylight -

Perhaps consider riding to Spitz after leaving Aggstein depending on time available.

Spitz a nice village . many heurigers/ wine taverns . a small Danube ship museum.

Depending on times - you can take a ship back to Melk.bikes allowed.

vienna
Destination Expert
4. Re: River cruise question

some added info-

near the river by Aggstein you can find an ok place to dine too-

It sits in an open area just adjacent to the river

Aggsteinerhof

some added websites fior info

www.aggstein.at

www.schoenbuehel-aggstein.at

5. Re: River cruise question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 05, 2014