We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

Which Austria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
reviews: 8
Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

We are planning a trip to Austria (for a week) in the middle of May'08. Can I know of some quiet countryside mountainous places that we can visit and how would be the weather there at this time of the year? (We will be coming by train from Munich.)

Thanks in Advance...........

Florida
reviews: 31
1. Re: Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

Salzkammergut! Mountains and lakes. It's beautiful!

This region is located on the rail line going south from Attnang-Puchheim (about 45 minutes by rail east of Salzburg). Just head south and stop along the rail line. Gmunden is where it starts (on a large lake. Then go on to Bad Ischl (It is a spa town on two rivers surrounded by mountains. It was the summer get-away for Franz-Josef and Sissi.)

You'll surely want to spend a night in Hallstatt. Beautiful setting on a lake, surrounded by mountains with ice and salt caves to be visited.

Finally, go to Bad Aussee and Ausseerland (Bad Aussee, Grundlsee, and Altaussee). I stay in Altaussee two or three times every year for its sheer beauty and tranquility.

From the 22 to the 25 May is the annual Narzissenfest. Take it in, if you are still in the region. It is "busy", but the flowers are beautiful.

"die Narzisse" is the "daffodil or narcissus".

http://www.narzissenfest.at/

Hopefully, the weather will be mild/warm, as it often is, but in the temperate climate zone, it could also be quite cool.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
2. Re: Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

Not far from Munich and in quiet beautiful mountain locations-

Achensee-

www.achensee.at

nice choice of hotels and activities - largest lake in Tirol -

mountains will probably still have some snow to add to the scene- May usually warm sunny days and cool nights.

Also nice is Alpbach

www.alpbach.at

in a narrow valley - beutiful picture perfect village

websites will provide information on getting there and much more including accomodation choices.

Dubai
3. Re: Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

Dear Castleblanca and Vertical,

Thanks a ton for the information! Though I have visited Switzerland earlier, I am quite clueless about Austria. So, this information would be highly useful. Now, I will go through these websites and would plan my itinerary. Thanks again.........

Vienna, Austria
reviews: 21
4. Re: Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

Very nice are also the Gailtal Valley and the Lesachtal valley in Carinthia and the East Tyrol as they are not so full of tourists as other areas like the Salzkammergut.

www.naturarena.com/?siid=1&jid=SO&LAid=2

weissensee.com/en/allgemein/summer-dreams-yo…

http://www.lesachtal.com/

http://www.osttirol.com/

Dubai
5. Re: Beautiful countryside places in Austria?

Dear Ulrike73,

Thanks for the information. I would surely visit these websites and would love to visit the quiet countryside places. Thanks again.............