We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Severe Water Shortages

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 22
Severe Water Shortages

If you are travelling to Cyprus this summer, please be aware that there is currently a severe water shortage. Islanders in the Paphos region are already suffering daily shortages and in some areas the water has been cut off for three days. Some others are only having water for 3 hours a day. Please help when you visit, use a glass to wash your teeth etc, try to not flush the loo every time, and don't bath if you can shower. People are not allowed to top up their pools, as there is a hosepipe ban in force and severe fines. Every little drop saved will help. Thank you.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 10
151. Re: Severe Water Shortages

The only reports I've seen have been small paragraphs in the newspapers.

I feel sorry for the locals who appear to be rationed whilst the hotels are not.

From the point of view of a holidaymaker though, I'm not going to worry about it. If it gets so bad the holiday needs to be cancelled, the tour company can send us somewhere else - all I need at the moment is to get away from constant rain and I don't really care where to!!

Lancashire, U.K
reviews: 16
152. Re: Severe Water Shortages

Things looking up a little bit, over a month late but the tankers shipping water from Greece are now coming in thick & fast after the initial problems. Wont solve the problem but it will help. I believe the tankers will be arriving every few days now for weeks to come. See local Gazette link:

http://www.famagusta-gazette.com/

News date 05.08.08 - Headline 'More Greek Water Tankers Head For Cyprus'

UK
reviews: 22
153. Re: Severe Water Shortages

Hi Karen

Yes it great thanks, don't like it back here in the cold. Yes you are right though I am also going back at the end of October as well. I will have had 5 visits this year! (greedy me)

The water was of every other day but I can't remember which days. You can tell when it is off though as when you turn on the drinking water tap it has no force and trickles out pretty slowly. I chose to drink bottled water this time to save on the tap water and several neighbours had put on their washing machines and had broken them as the water had run out half way through a cycle. If you get chance go and vist the dams you will be truly shocked by the state of them. I noticed yesterday that the Cyprus living website has some recent photos on their forum.

I didn't eat out that much, just went to Pambis Taverna, Happy Island by the Almyra, Costas Taverna opposite Savvas Pottery on the airport road and to Pizza Express a couple of times.

Hope you have a great holiday!

Cyprus
reviews: 13
154. Re: Severe Water Shortages

Hi guys, i have read a few of the posts regarding your concerns about the cyprus water-shortage problem. I live in cyprus, nicosia in particular, and have a holiday house in protaras as well. The problem is not as serious as it sounds! Its a fact that the dams are empty but we get water from other sources. My life is exactly the same as it was. We just try and be a bit "careful" on water usage having in mind the problem. So dont worry too much about this if you have already planned your holiday to cyprus. Enjoy the sun and the beaches as much as you can!!!

Pinner
reviews: 41
155. Re: Severe Water Shortages

Hi,

Just got back last night from pafos. We were staying near Pambis in Universal area and got water cut off every other day but sometimes it wasn't turned off until about 8.00am. We also had a power cut one morning but not for too long. We just filled up three bottles with tap water every evening for coffee and tea with bottled water for general drinking.Conserve what you have and you won't have a problem.

Found a nice Taverna which I hadn't seen on the forum - 7 St. Georges. Not sure of the exact address but if you are travelling from the direction of the airport, turn left at the Debenhams roundabout then left at the first set of lights. Turn/bear left almost immediately and after a hundred yards or so, you will see an old taverna on the right. It doesn't look much and they dont have a menu, you simply sit there and eat what they put in front of you. Its all home grown/ locally bred with their own organic wine. The whole experience was fantastic, its a family affair and everythig was eaten, even things we wouldn't usually think of ordering. It made a change from many of the restaurants we went to. Expect to be there for at least three hours and get there by 7.00.

156. Re: Severe Water Shortages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 01, 2009