We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taverna in Larnaca ?

Which Larnaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haifa, Israel
reviews: 16
Taverna in Larnaca ?

will be in Larnaca on friday 30/05/2013 (leaving 31/05 noon). looking for a good Taverna, for locals if possible.

7 replies to this topic
Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka, Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 63
1. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

Hi, the Black Turtle down near the old fort springs to mind.

Haifa, Israel
2. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

Tnx barkinmad,

Larnaka, Cyprus
reviews: 10
3. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

Black Turtle has some great live greek music. IMO the food served is not of the same quality as the music. However it is convenient as it is situated in the town centre. (Well, that is I suppose you'll be staying in the town centre.) If you have a car and willing to travel I could suggest tavernas in villages.

Haifa, Israel
4. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

Tnx Margory,

We arrive on a cruise just for one evening so we will have dinner on board. Currently we are 4 and others might join us. Though I would like very much to have the most authentic experience, not sure we can travel out of Larnaca. Any suggestion for better tavernas in villages nearby we can get by taxi, will be appreciated.

Edited: 1:08 am, May 01, 2013
Larnaka, Cyprus
5. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

People usually visits tavernas for the relaxed atmosphare and the traditional meze food. The music ( if any) is a by-product, which supplements the food. In Black Turtle it's the other way round, as one goes there for the music only (always in my opinion). If you plan to dine on board, then it suits you fine.

I would be relactunt to propose a ride with a taxi to any village, even for a group of persons sharing one, due to the redicilous costs of it.

Black Turtle is in the city centre, not far from Larnaca port, so it would be convenient to you.

Another option, closer to the port, is a taverna known mainly for its "rebetiko" music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebetiko). Since you live in Israel, I suppose you are familiar with the types and sounds of greek music. So if you like rebetiko, then this is your choice. Unfortunately my brain is set to "holidays mode" right now and I just can't remember it's name!!! I will revert later, hopefully tonight, with a name!

Larnaka, Cyprus
6. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

The tavern near Larnaca Port is called "Odos Seferi"! I had to ask about the name, as I couldn't remember it!

Haifa, Israel
7. Re: Taverna in Larnaca ?

Many thanks Margory.

If anything else comes in mind Pls let me know.

Piniy

Reply to: Taverna in Larnaca ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted