We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crossing the border

Which Kyrenia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 24
crossing the border

Hello

I am staying in Agia Nappa in May, i would like to cross the border by car to visit Kyrenia, what is the procedure, is it safe i have a wife and 5 year old to consider , are there any risks, what happens as regards to passports and visas?

Thank You

sheffield UK
reviews: 60
1. Re: crossing the border

can`t help you re visas and passports. Only "danger" is that you might not want to go back!"

brighton
2. Re: crossing the border

Hello, It is easy to cross the border by car (rential) You are given a visa on sight of your passport and a charge of approx ��10 is made for Car Insurance whilst on the other side.

There is no danger whatsoever. other than doing something really stupid (like anywhere else in the world) There are quite a number of Militery Camps with armed soldiers but this is no risk unless you tresspass or attempt to take phots etc. The people are wonderfully friendly and the area of the harbour etc is beatiful and worth a trip. A different natural place from AgiaNappa!!

uk
reviews: 24
3. Re: crossing the border

how do i get to the other side from agia nappa?

N.Cyprus
reviews: 4
4. Re: crossing the border

as gibson said you would not want to go back to the south! its a lovely place and the north is the safest place on the island. There is no risk doing this at all! and you dont need visa on your passport as they will give you a paper when you are crossing the border which is used as visa (you dont get your passport stamped again) please feel free to do this.

north yorks england
reviews: 14
5. Re: crossing the border

How do we get to northern side of the island from ayia napa please.

uk
6. Re: crossing the border

with regard to crossing to the northside of the island ,check with the company you hire the car of first, most companies do not allow you to take hire cars to the northside.those that do, insist that you take full responsibility for the car.as to this insurance you pay when you cross,its not what you think it is.they say you are covered but if you have an accident they dont want to know.this has happened to a few people.the best ways to see the northside is on an organised tour and you know then you have no worries.many companies do these tours,some good, some bad,some are a complete rip off.the company we used took us to famagusta,salamis,kyrenia and the bellapais monastery in the same day at a very reasonable price.kids under 2/3ish went free then under sixteen went at half price.after many years going back and forth to cyprus,this company are doing something different and are good at it.they are all british so you have no problems.

Essex
reviews: 4
7. Re: crossing the border

You can cross the border at Famagusta which is 15/20 minute drive North of Ayia Napa (past Protaras and Paralimni).

Your only "Danger" is that you may not come back as someone else stated earlier.

Ask for a temporary page when you get to the border (a piece of paper that they stamp so that your passport doesnt get stamped) becareful not to lose this though!

sunny scotland
8. Re: crossing the border

Can I add a warning like Huggyone... we love 'exploring' too and would have loved to go north in a hire car. Our car-hire

company said 'absolutely NOT' in their hire car, basically, if

the car has a problem then it would not be covered and

that - now this is their words, not mine, if it breaks down,

then the Turks will keep it! We were told that this happened

in the past. Sorry I have no recollection of which car-hire

company, but it was a chain not a one-man-band.

I would say, use your best judgement and if you decide to

take it over the border, then get something in writing from

the car-hire company that you will not be liable if the worst

happens. Enjoy your hols - Cyprus is a beautiful country.

Greece
reviews: 2
9. Re: crossing the border

Let me help you here: You can cross the boarder from a village which is a 10 minute drive from Ayia Napa. BUT NO CAR HIRE COMPANY will cover you for damages on the other site. The SAFEST way for you to do it take a taxi and ask them to leave you at the boarder near Agia Napa and WALK to the other site. Then from there rent a car or take a taxi to visit what you want to visit. HOWEVER DO NOT STAY OVERNIGHT as the official Cypriot governemtn will not accept you back. The North site is less developed but as an experience I would suggest to you to drive to Nicosia and walk to the other site. You will feel the history much more.In terms of safety, I agree that you have nothing to worry about. They treat tourists nicely.

Essex, UK
reviews: 10
10. Re: crossing the border

We crossed the border in a hire car a couple of weeks ago at Agios Demetios which is near Nicosia and spent a week in Kyrenia. We took advice from this forum that it was permissible to do this before we went. Both the international chain car hire company and a small local operation which we approached were agreeable to their cars being driven in the north.

The procedure is straight forward - we bought car insurance at the border crossing then immigration provided a visa on a separate piece of paper. Within the space of a few minutes, we were on your way. Returning to the south was simpler still.

We don't know whether there is a crossing nearer Agia Napa.