We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

Which Kyrenia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
daventry northants
reviews: 12
Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

Hi,

I cannot find anywhere on here that tells me what i am allowed (if any) to take across the border on the way home from Kyrenia to Larnaca airport.My boss has asked if we can bring him back some cigerettes. Not sure if i can get them in Kyrenia or do i have to wait until i get to Larnaca airport and get them there. I am also right in thinking that we are only allowed 200 each person. We are non smokers so have no idea.

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

We are off on Friday and getting very excited. lol.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me on this matter.

27 replies to this topic
Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka, Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 72
11. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

2 packets of twenty.Julie

Edited: 8:56 am, September 16, 2012
Isle of Wight
reviews: 9
12. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

You could always do your boss a favor and not buy him any , Help him give up perhaps ?..( just a thought ) ..

Ipswich
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
reviews: 41
13. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

Sorry dont think i was clear, if we decided to fly to/from ercan, is it 200,or 800 ciggies. I understand u can only bring 40 over the border if we fly home larnaca. Sorry if i am confusing peeps, i'm confusing myself! Lol.

isle of wight
reviews: 11
14. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

I went to Turkey this year and I never bring fags back for anyone being a non smoker!

But I must say my suitcase was full of designer fake this that or the other!!

Some of it may well go on holiday to Cyprus with me next year..... could this be conferscated thinking Id bought it in the North??

A very confused about Cyprus

Fitz

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 3
15. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

It is very confusing but basically if you're travelling from North Cyprus back to the UK your duty free allowance for cigarettes is 200 regardless if you're flying from Ercan or Larnaca (ie the customs allowance for travel from a non EU country). The difference is that if you fly from Ercan you go through customs in the UK and they will allow you the legal amount of 200. if you fly from Larnaca you actually pass through customs at the border between North Cyprus and Southern Cyprus and going from North to South it's the Greek Cypriots who operate customs. They are a law onto themselves and will claim your legal allowance is only 40 cigarettes - yes of course you can argue and claim your legal rights - but they will not budge and will take great delight in then being able to search your luggage in the greatest detail - you will miss your flight so it's not worth the bother for a few cigarettes - when you get to Larnaca you can buy your full allowance for travel within the EU.

Before anyone fires me down for being anti GC (Greek Cypriot) can I point out customs going in the opposite direction ie South Cyprus to North Cyprus can be as awkward but their focus tends to be on expats rather than tourists so they look for furniture and food stuffs.

Re fake designer goods as I said in an earlier post I've never had a problem but technically there is the same risk as bringing them home from mainland Turkey or Dubai - they are illegal after all!

Swindon, United...
reviews: 1
16. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

Hi.

if you buy cigs at larnica airport the guidlines from the uk are 8oo however you can bring back what you like the guidlines last year were 3,200.

however as other have stated if you bring back more thatn 800 you could be stopped and questionsed if they are for your own use.

i got 200 royals for 37.00 uros at paphos airport this month not sure about larnica.

hope this helps

Surrey UK
reviews: 16
17. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

Mandmit....Read very carefully....40 ciggies only (2 packets) NO MORE. If you attempt to take anymore across the border (North to South)and the border police search you and they find anymore than 40 they will confiscate them and fine you 1 Euro for every cigerette you have, in other words a 200 pack of ciggies could cost you over £150 plus you will be delayed whilst they search all your luggage....DONT RISK IT!!!!!!

Cleethorpes
reviews: 1
18. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

BEWARE!!

We have just returned from Northern Cyprus via Larnaca airport and crossing the border we were a party of 8 in 2 taxis, the first taxi was stopped and searched and had 400 cigarettes and 10 pouches of tobacco between 4 adults thinking that travelling from a non EU to an EU country that was the allowance, how wrong were we, we had it all confiscated and fined £140, fortunately the other taxi was not stopped and had the same amount. We booked independently so were not with a travel company to advise us and did not check before we went as we thought that was the legal allowance travelling from non EU to an EU country. The amount allowed to cross the border is 40 cigarettes an no tobacco. Hope this stops anyone else getting caught innocently as we were.

UK
reviews: 115
19. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

Yes, we were searched at the border too, for the first time. We did not have any cigs etc, but they then went on to ask if we had any 'milk products'!

Poland
reviews: 4
20. Re: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac

We will be in Paphos later this year. We've heard the fake designer gear is only in the north so plan to pick some things up while we are visiting Nicosia for the day (in hired car). My wife could probably fill the entire boot with stuff, but as there is a risk of getting it confiscated when crossing back over to the south, it seems rather silly to run the risk of losing several hundred euros if they do end up getting confiscated.

Anyone got any info on the frequency of the searches. Do they do pretty much every car, or just the odd one from time to time? Would like to try and weigh up the risk vs reward ;-).

Reply to: Taking duty free over the border For flight home from larnac
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted