We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

Washington State
reviews: 116
Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

We would like to spend a day in Liechtenstein but aren't sure of the best way to get there. We will be in Munich, then Luzern and wanted to go to Vaduz in between. Is this possible?

31 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 395
1. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

If you were to visit Liechtenstein on the way from Munich to Luzern, your journey will be greatly lengthened (although the trip would be fantastic). Assuming you are using public transport, you will need to take the train from München Hbf. to Innsbruck Hbf. (Austria) where you would change train to get to Feldkirch (Austria). From there, you change to a bus to Vaduz itself (some require a change in Schaan [FL]). After you've spent the time you want in Liechtenstein, take a bus from Vaduz to Sargans in Switzerland. From there, return to the rails and take a train to Thalwil. There are then direct trains from there to Luzern.

If you're travelling by car, it'd be a completely different story. But hopefully this is useful to you. Don't forget to go to the tourist office and get your passports stamped! Have a great trip!

Edited: 7:30 am, January 26, 2011
Washington State
2. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

Thank you so much for your help. About how long will the trip take?

Glasgow, United...
3. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

I would have thought that the journey itself would take around 8 hours and you would, of course, need to leave at 09.00 or before in order to have a decent amount of time in Vaduz. The main attractions in Vaduz are perhaps worth a 3 hour maximum stop. There are lots of touristie-shops on the main street (Städtle) and it's well worth a walk up to the castle (or take the tourist train).

Your journey will be quite costly and timings could indeed be cruicial, especially with the integrated nature and high frequency of transport here in Europe. Although it's in German, check fahrplan.oebb.at for details of your journey it seems as though it's quite intuitive even for a non-speaker. I'd suggest you look into each sector of the route individually, rather than entering it in as one long journey, as the results may not be best suited to accommodate your time in Vaduz. Happy planning!

Washington State
4. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

Would it make more sense to train from Munich to Zurich? I know there are buses to Vaduz from there. We could spend 1 night in Zurich and then go to Luzern.

Glasgow, United...
5. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

I am not aware that there are public bus services available from Zürich to Vaduz - I would have thought that any buses were actual excursions.

If you go from München to Zürich by train, you will generally need to change - there are only a couple of direct services each day. The journey would take around 4.5 - 5 hours. It would indeed be a sensible option to have a night in Zürich as it is a beautiful city with lots to see.

From Zürich you can take a train to Buchs SG or Sargans, from where you will need to take a bus to Vaduz.

fahrplan.sbb.ch is a useful resource for you travels within Switzerland.

Luxembourg
reviews: 28
6. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

The journey from Munich to Buchs with only 1 train change at St. Margrethen in Switzerland is the easiest and takes 3 hrs 25 min for the 12:34 departure or 3 hrs 46 min for the 07:13 departure, the regular fare is 56 € and the discounted fare for the early train is 38 € if you book in advance. From Buchs it's only a short bus hop over to Vaduz. There is no need to take the longer route via Innsbruck. Check the german rail site:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Then from Buchs to Lucerne you have a choice to go with 1 train change at Zurich with multiple departures and it takes 2 hrs 15 min the fare is 45 CHF.

Check the swiss rail here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/

And this is your Liechtenstein bus: http://www.lba.li/ click on "Fahrplan/Liniennetz" to get an overview.

If you prefer the direct Munich to Zurich route you can easily travel to Vaduz on your own,, it's only about 1 hour to Sargans and then a short bus ride.

Edited: 3:25 am, January 28, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 34
7. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

Hi! I'm going to have a little sping vacation in Zurich and I also though I'd visit Vaduz. Thanks for the SBB travel planner link, that is a useful service. I only have one problem: when I type Vaduz as destination, a drop-down menu appears with a lot of choices. Which one should I choose to end up at a central location in Vaduz? Any ideas?

Glasgow, United...
8. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

Hi there - you'd be best to select Vaduz Post. Hope this is helpful.

Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 34
9. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

Excellent, thank you!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 8
10. Re: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?

The small country of Liechtenstein is only worth 1-2 hours of visit, unless you are planning to ski there. We visited Liechtstein in December 2010, we stayed a night at a local B&B. Our conclusion is that there is absolutely no need to stay a night a Liechtenstein. It is very feasible to visit Liechtenstein on your way from Munich to Luzern or Zurich, as the small country is right in between. But make it a day trip (i.e. leave Munich morning, get to Liechtenstein at noon, enter Switzerland in the afternoon).

P.S. People in Lichtenstein are very friendly, but they have limited English skills. Knowing German can be helpful.

Reply to: Best way to get to/from Liechtenstein?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Liechtenstein