We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in Luxembourg

Which Luxembourg City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 20
weekend in Luxembourg

good morning,

we are thinking of staying in Luxembourg for the weekend 05-07.12.

I have and still am browsing the topics here (hallo hiker) and the sites that are mentioned.

I was wondering if someone could help us a little bit:

we are thinking of staying at the Sofitel Grand Ducal since this is the one that seems nearest to all the city attractions and the center and is a very good hotel as well. Did I get this correct? do you think it is a good choice?

Since we have so few time(two halfdays and a full day), we are thinking of just staying in the city and do the different tours and walk around and try to get to a feeling of the place. Do you have any other suggestions? Should we take an excursion outside the city?

and now the obvious question :-): any good local restaurants? where we could get some good local if possible food? we like restaurants that are just normal and relaxed, not trendy and luxus.

we would really appreciate any help and tipps you could give us

Thank you very much

Tak

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
11. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

AAHHHH! that would explain not only the french accent and the behaviour as well! alles klar.

Thanx

tak

Luxembourg
reviews: 30
12. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

After you have done your sights in the city would suggest you go to Trier for the Christmas Market. Take the bus from Centre Aldringen, 2 mins walk from the Simoncini, to the Train Station and then by train to Trier. You can get a day return ticket, or with the LuxembourgCard to Wasserbillig and from theret € 6 return day ticket. To get to your hotel also bus from the Station to Aldringen.

http://www.trierer-weihnachtsmarkt.de/en/

Recommend the Rathauskeller. Very touristy but interesting.

Luxembourg
13. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

I discovered something new to me today. The car is in for maintenance and had to take the train/bus. Have been told there is a Mobility ticket available for € 4 per day/person for unlimited travel throughout the country on all public transportation. Ehm, since I spend about € 6-8 per day on parking I may seriously consider this option in the future more often. SBB please take note.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
14. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

hallo hiker, thank you for the info, it is noted and bookmarked.

I booked at the sofitel finally, I will arriving in Luxembourg on Friday the 05.12. (hopefully I will catch the direct early morning train).

SBB has lots in his head right now :-)

I guess you speak german?

bazonline.ch/schweiz/…24848608

we are also be going for the mobility ticket.

Thanx again and keep warm on this winterly weekend

tak

Luxembourg
15. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

I have read it and see SBB are getting close to the capacity of what they can handle, so I will continue coming to CH by car and leave the space I would otherwise occupy to others. Fuel is getting dirt cheap again, less than 1 € . We are expecting snow here tonight.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
16. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

I do not have a driver's licence myself (gasp!)but i see your point.

so i have to pack my warmest clothes you say? brrrr...ok.

One more question, do we get the LuxembourgCard at the station? where?

For the hotel which bus we take? I mean what number?

I know I can find all this myself but i am too lazy to browse :-) and I thought I can pick your brains

:-) (always exploit nice people).

are we going to see you?

Ok these were more than one questions, so i better stop now

tak

Luxembourg
17. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

You can get the LuxembourgCard in the main hall of the train station. You can ask them also for the bus number I just don't know it. Your weather update from the local newspaper: http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/

Will be at the Cologne Christmas market next week-end, this is a Kult visit since many years.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
18. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

unfortunately i had to cancel this trip, meeting here all day...

snifff

tak

19. Re: weekend in Luxembourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, October 13, 2009