We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

Which Luxembourg City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Mexico
reviews: 51
Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

I'd appreciate suggestions on transportation from Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport (FRA). My son will be staying in Luxembourg with cousins and then flies home July 16th, flight at 11:20am. Is it possible to get to FRA using public transport that early in the morning (assume he needs to be at the airport no later than 9am)? Is the best bet a train (or trains) or bus? I know it's only a 2 hour drive, but I don't want to ask our relatives to drive him on a weekday when they must work. Many thanks.

Luxembourg
reviews: 30
1. Re: Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

It is not a 2 hour drive but almost 3 hours by the time you get started and find your way at Frankfurt airport not counting possible rush-hour delays ! There are various train connections from Luxembourg departing at about 05:00 and getting there at about 09:00 please check the german train web-site at www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml .

As a note of interest Luxair today is showing a one way fare of €106,00 for July 15 and 17, the July 16th fare unfortunately is €206,00 you may keep an eye on the fares in case it may change and if I was the cousin I would happily contribute half rather then take the strenuous car ride to FRA.

New Mexico
reviews: 51
2. Re: Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

Thanks so much for the advice. I did discover the Luxair option, but it was 107 Euros when I saw it, perhaps it's gone up. I'll check to see if a student fare is available (my son is 21). Dropping off at the Luxair airport would be much easier on my brother in law. The train could work but I worry about making the connection on time. I'll keep an eye out on the Luxair site.

Luxembourg
reviews: 30
3. Re: Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

Oh I completely forgot the Hahn shuttle option. Your son could take the shuttle bus to Hahn airport and from there connect with another shuttle to FRA.

Luxembourg to Hahn airport http://www.flibco.com/

Hahn airport to FRA http://www.bohr-omnibusse.de/

American in...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

I have driven to the Frankfurt airport (FRA) several times from Luxembourg. It takes exactly 2 hours and 15 minutes without traffic. I have only hit traffic one time, and this was on the last day of ski holidays, otherwise no problem. If you have a GPS you are even more well off, and should have no problems at all getting to the airport whatsoever. The train is also an option, but has to make 3 stops, and assuming your son is going back to the US, his flight probably leaves earlier in the morning, so I would recommend he take the train the night before and stay in a hotel at the airport. He can also take the bus to the Frankfurt Hahn airport and then another bus to the Frankfurt airport, but this will take more time than the train. Finally, you can do the Luxair option, but the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets. They do not offer any discounts, and it tends to be an expensive way to go.

5. Re: Luxembourg to Frankfurt airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 25, 2009