We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
intl
reviews: 31
Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

I am planning to go to Malta and only have a day and a half. I was thinking of seeing a bit of Valletta, then going to the Hypogeum (tickets for 13:30h/14:00h), and spending the afternoon in Mdina, and finally exploring Valletta a bit more on the half-day before leaving.

Is this feasible, and if so, what is the best way to travel to those three destinations in a single day? Are the bus connections reliable enough or should we go by taxi? (Or is that too expensive)?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help or suggestions.

Oswestry England
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 15
11. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Both Malta and Gozo have hop on hop off bus tours of the islands and are a good way of getting to see something of the country.

You could certainly spend one day in Valletta visiting St Johns co- cathederal , taking in the beautifull views from the Upper Barrakka Gardens and wandering the lovely narrow streets of the city.

I am sure you will enjoy your visit.

Graham

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
reviews: 3
12. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Missvicki - depends on what you are interested in but I would say that you should spend a day in Gozo, at least a half day in Valletta (could spend a whole day here depending on your interests) and another half day in Mdina. If you are interested in ancient temples etc then book a visit to the Hypogeum - there are others too.

As Graham said, you could use the hop on hop off buses to get an overview

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

The key to your day and a half will be the time of your visit to the Hypogeum. This must be booked in advance (and is often fully booked). Takes about an hour but you are asked to be there 15 minutes before at the latest. So with public transport there and back, going for the 10 am tour will take the whole morning, for example. I don't know what time you have to be at the airport on DAY 2, but perhaps you could do mornng in Valletta and afternoon in Mdina on Day 1, using public transport (St. Julian's - Valletta - Mdina - and return) then Day 2 morning to Hypogeum by taxi and if necessary straight to airport by taxi. I reckon if you talk it through with Wembley (21373741) you may not even get charged for two full journeys - they will just wait for you in Paola and take you to airport from there. You can email them to check.

Sydney
reviews: 29
14. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Is the Hypogeum the underground tunnels? Sorry for my ignorance. There will be 4 of us so perhaps going by taxi to some of these places might be the quickest and possibly cheapest? The hop on and off buses sound a good idea - thank you. As I am a nervous person I like to know where toilets are - will I be okay ?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 13
15. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

There are direct buses to Rabat/Mdina from Sliema/St Julians - direct in the sense that you don't have to change buses not that they follow the most direct route.

I agree that you should tell us what your age group and interests are so that we'll be able to suggest plans.

All cafes and bars have toilets so even if there aren't any public toilets in the vicinity you'll be OK.

Sydney
16. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

We are in our early 50's.

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 1
17. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

The Hypogeum is the World Heritage site - underground temples. Places each timed tour are limited to 10, so early booking is vital.

reviewer-intl - Whilst I don't disagree that the HOHO bus is generally good value, with your very limited time frame, wanting to visit Valletta, Mdina and Hypogeum, you can't afford to be standing waiting for the next one to come along! I stand by my previous post

Sydney
18. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

I will certainly look into the tour of the Hypogeum and book once I get approval from the other 3 and work out which day we want to visit. Many thanks SeanB87

19. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Valletta