We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

Which Island of Malta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
reviews: 10
What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

I've read through many posts and the FAQ, and I'm still unsure where to stay. I will be in Malta for 3 days/4 nights in May. I am a 53-year-old woman traveling with my 8-year-old god-daughter, my 75-year-old mother, and another 60-year-old woman. We want to see historic sites, but also be in a location to entertain the child. We need to be near restaurants, cafes, etc. My mother has a bad knee, so long-distance walking is hard as are steps. I would like a sea view and access to the shore. We don't need a lot of night life (maybe a cafe or bar to have a drink). We do plan to go to Gozo one day on the ferry but return to Malta at night. I'm intrigued by the fishing villages of Marsascala and Marsaxlokk, but I don't know if they are truly "villages." I prefer a historic village to a modern resort area. Any suggestions?

6 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

I like to visit Marsascala for a couple of hours having a walk round the bay and enjoying liquid refreshment at one of the bars watching people mess on their boats but would not recommend you stay there. Marsaxlokk is a fishing village and certainly not a modern resort. Many folk visit by day and return to their accommodation. Although Malta is only a small island Marsaxlokk is a fair distance from the Gozo ferry. Obviously do not know your budget but take a look at the Radisson at Golden Sands, it is isolated being the only hotel in the area, but there is a cafe and a restaurant on the beach, local bus stop outside the hotel gates and it is close to Gozo ferry. Alternatively take a look at hotels in Mellieha which is maltese village, has one of the best beaches on the island down the hill and not a modern resort. Enjoy your planning and eventual holiday.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
reviews: 3
2. Re: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

Sliema would be ideal for you especially with a dodge knee as it has a lovely long promenade very little in the way of hills and all along the prom are small playgrounds for the child to play in and a nice big one at the new Point Shopping Mall.

You are on the direct bus line to Gozo ferry or into Valetta and can get buses to various other places and you have lots of restaurants and shops.

Birzebbuga, Malta
reviews: 53
3. Re: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

At Sliema there are many hotels, restaurants, bars and cafe. The same thing at Bugibba and Qawra, but personally Sliema's promenade is more beautiful. There are also two playing fields where children can play. For Gozo you can catch the bus from Sliema, but since there is going to be a reform in public transport better check exactly when you are in Malta, but for sure buses pass regularly from Sliema.

Historic sites like Hagar Qim and Mnajdra are found at Qrendi, (worth visiting Blue Grotto by boat since it's near). Then there are various museums too and you can have more details visiting these sites (http://heritagemalta.org/, http://www.wirtartna.org/home.html). To catch the bus is easy and from Valletta depart buses covering all Malta. If you need more help let me know.

Belgrade
reviews: 127
4. Re: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

For 4 or 5 days - and taken "the members of your group" in consoderation - the best idea wuld be a hotel on the border betwwen Gzira and Sliema (near Sliema Ferries / for example Sliema Marina Hotel or some hotel in Gzira for example Kennedy Nova Hotel), or further up in Sliema (for example Plaza Regency hotel, or Diplomat hotel(.

First choice is slose to Manoel Island with Duck Village and Amusement park, the other is close to Promenade and - as already mentioned - to playing grounds alnog Promenade.

What ever zou choose, it would be god basis for trips (*to see historic locations). SInce yuo will stay only 4-5 days, the best idea would be bus-trips to Fishing Village, Mdina, Glass factorz and Pet Zoo (god/daughter will love it) as a 8-10 hours trip, and one trip to Gozo. For Valletta I recommend city bus (13, 14, 15... depends on where ypu stay) to the last staion Valetta. There is a short ewalk to Presidential Palace, Library and other old buildings in Valletta.

sydney australia
reviews: 13
5. Re: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

for your short stay I would suggest Valletta....look at reviews of The Phonecia hotel Floriana....Floriana and Valletta are very close to each other. The advantage of this hotel is that it is a flat easy walk to the busses that go all over Malta and also a flat walk to Valletta. Valletta's main street Republic Street is long and flat but if you go down the side streets you need to come back up...lots of steps but can be managed if you walk along the flat part of street then up a few steps then flat part of street then up a few steps..the only way I can describe it is a bit like a zig zag. ps all the side streets going back uphill would lead to Republic Street. May weather should be very pleasant walking the streets of Valletta. Marsaxlokk is a fishing village and tho Malta is small I wouldn't recommend staying there as its too far to get to the main sites which a lot are in Valletta.

Alabama
reviews: 10
6. Re: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?

Thank you all for your advice. I am sharing your posts with my mother now! We have tentatively booked a hotel, but I would much rather have an apartment or B&B.

Reply to: What area of the island to stay for our group of 4 in May?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta