We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta and immigrants

Which Island of Malta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Malta and immigrants

We're considering going back to Malta next year - we've been before and loved it, however on the news very recently the Mayor of Malta commented that the island was being overrun by immigrants. My question to those travellers who have been there recently is - is this true and if so did it spoil your holiday experience?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
reviews: 3
1. Re: Malta and immigrants

I talk to people and friends in Malta every day and will be going back out in January think the Mayor was over exaggerating the problem it is just that Malta is much smaller than all the other countries in the EU so it has a greater impact but I have not heard many complaints mind you they are trying to take the jobs etc like they do everywhere to earn a living.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
reviews: 11
2. Re: Malta and immigrants

The comment about Immigrants is obviously about Illegal Imigrants originating from the African continent !

Malta does have a problem with illegal immigrants that try to cross over to Europe on small boats . The problem is that the EU does not want to share the burden that these hundreds of Immigrants each year are making on the Maltese culture and Economy .

As a resident here for the last 50 years , I can say that lately we are seeing more coloured individuals on the streets in some areas of Malta . As a tourist it will make no difference to your holiday , as most illegal immigrants are held in isolated detention centres .

In Malta the larger number of immigrants come in Blonde and Brunette form and originate in the colder parts of the North , and these are also added to by a larger number of Chinese and Philipine persons with work permits !

As Malta has a small population , even a few hundred affect the work market , but otherwise no holidaymaker will even notice the difference if he served by a Maltese barman or a Russian Barwoman :-)

Welcome to International Malta

Edited: 3:29 pm, October 16, 2013
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
reviews: 3
3. Re: Malta and immigrants

Agreed 643 we have people from every country in Europe now a couple of thousand Chinese most supposed to be on education visas but a lot buying up and setting up restaurants etc only employing their own who live in company owned houses sometimes 10 to a house. In the building boom we had over 50 thousand Polish and nearly 200 thousand from other EU countries as well as thousands from Africa.

Our medical card system is out of control as all immigrants say they are entitled to one then they also want a house and unemployement benefits and the list goes on.

Inverness, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Malta and immigrants

Plain and simple - It's a small minority and it's highly unlikely to detract from somebody's holiday.

Mdina, Malta
reviews: 4
5. Re: Malta and immigrants

Nothing to worry about, enjoy Malta

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 13
6. Re: Malta and immigrants

There isn't any Mayor of Malta. We have Mayors for towns and villages but most probably the person you heard was the Prime Minister. Maybe he was exaggerating in order to emphasis the problem that tiny Malta has in coping with the influx of irregular immigrants.

But the country isn't over run by them. The Detention Centres are in out of the way places and the only immigrants you'll see are those who have been given permission to work

Nottingham, United...
7. Re: Malta and immigrants

Can I just say many thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply. We will certainly be returning to Malta next year.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 83
8. Re: Malta and immigrants

We noticed an increase in the number of 'looky looky' men this year. Most set up stalls along the prom and they sometimes have a mat at the markets, but there are others who come to your table in bars and restaurants. Most of these are polite and not too invasive, but there are a few who don't want to take no for an answer. Just be assertive. The bar owners will deal with them if necessary. Shouldn't affect your holiday. If you do want cheap sunglasses, bags, watches or african carvings you can probably barter for a good deal......

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 13
9. Re: Malta and immigrants

g0akc Let's hope that they remain <<polite and not too invasive>>. For example in Italy they are really irritating. Some of them walk along with a bunch of roses. They pick on a couple and then practically trust one on to a woman and then expect the man to pay for it. They pester you, don't take the rose back and are a real nuisance .

The female immigrants are worse as they wander about begging often with a child in tow. But I've never come across one who was actually rude.

Once near Westminster Cathedral in London a female gypsy put a sprig of heather into my hand. I said '~Thank you' and walked on. She demanded money - forgot how much - and when I gave her back the heather she was really rude and predicted bad luck in the future.

England
reviews: 67
10. Re: Malta and immigrants

Good post hat776..and this is a problem Malta is now having to deal with and I've seen as you say in London and also other European Cities such as Madrid,where outside the Prada I was accosted by a gypsy rose seller as far back as 2003..

Malta is still a great country and I will be over after a 5 year wait and like many will just become immune to the beggars who often make a good living out of peoples sympathy and are best ignored..

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta