We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap German Beer......shortage!

Which Island of Malta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 6
Cheap German Beer......shortage!

Hi

Cheap cans of German lager (such as Golden Pils & Cody) seem to have disappeared from the island's bars and the generic "euro lager" replacements are not quite as good or strong.

I read somewhere that there were problems getting German lagers into Malta at present, anyone know why?

For those who are interested cheap "euro lager" available at Dicks (St Julian's) for €1.2, Plough & Anchor for €1.2, Chico's (Marsaskala) €1. Also Dutch Bavaria lager widely available for about €1.3, as is locally brewed Skol. Belgian Martens Pils also available in places for €1 - 1.3.

Cheers

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

Cheers notty. When it comes to beer, all information is welcome lol.

Back in Feb to sup a few whilst my pal half kills himself running the marathon.

London
2. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

Hi bobster

Still find the hardest thing about beer in the hot (even in Nov & for you in Feb) Malta sun, is keeping the stuff cold. That down under trick of keeping the "amber nectar" in the shade doesn't work, ice just melts & dilutes it. I had a long debate (& some experimentation) with my brother whether it pays to keep as much in the can as possible, topping up a small glass, as the can acts as a thermos........but no, the answer, drink it bloody quicker!!!

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
3. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

Yeah they have to be ice cold when you buy them to give you a fighting chance. That's why I prefer the small bottles.

One trick we do sometimes when there is enough of us is have one of those ice keeping bag thingys with us (you can fold them into nothing) then if we plan on staying somewhere for 2 or 3 each we buy a bag or 2 of ice and buy our beer in one go and wedge them in the bag. That way they definitely come out ice cold which makes it better.

We have done this at the kiosk on balluta before as they don't come out very cold to start with do they.

London
4. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

A real pro!

I've taken a real shine to that little old kiosk at Balluta, the locals really seem to like it and nice prices, good people watching too. After dark when the restaurants kick in there's some lovely smells wafting around (including my cigar smoke).

I've found the Cisk comes out colder than the Skol, probably because it's 50c more expensive....if you can call 1.8 euro expensive.

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
5. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

This summer there was a little store on spinola rd halfway down between the crows nest and the cavieleri hotel of which we emptied his stock a few times lol and bagged it up to drink by the sea down the bottom.... Happy days.

London
6. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

Ah, down by Cat Village...best fed moggies on the island, good job they don't drink beer!

7. Re: Cheap German Beer......shortage!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta