We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

Which Xaghra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

We are staying in Xaghra for a week at the beginning of September - we are trying to decide whether to hire a car from airport or use transfer and maybe have car for a couple of days. We have a farmhouse and intend to spend a lot of time just lazing around the pool - I have been to Gozo before but my sister has not. We have been quoted 75 euros for return transfer from airport - does this seem reasonable ?

or would it be better to use that 75 euros towards car hire ? - i understand that there a buses that go between Xaghra and Victoria and that we could get a bus to Ramla Bay from there.

One final question - are there still sunbeds for hire in Ramla Bay - there were when we were there about 6 years ago! but looking at photos i cant see them now !!!!

Any tips would be useful.

Thanks

London, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

we prefer to use a transfer rather than renting out from the airport, even though we are regular visitors. Then we always rent out from Gozo, or actually leave it to the guys at the company we rent from to prepare everything for us. Honestly Euro75 seems to be quite cheap for a return trip (but depending on the number of persons), it's more likely to be for a one way trip.

i recommend that you will use car hire all through the holiday, otherwise you won't get the best of the island. Though you can use buses, they are not efficient on Gozo.

yes, you can still rent out sunbeds in Ramla.

enjoy it.

Cardiff
2. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

Thank you - may go with transfer and then hire in Gozo as like to use local companies when we can to help with the economy.

We were in Gozo 6 years ago and loved it - we also found it very cheap to eat out - has this changed much with the introduction of the euro ? what would we expect to pay for a meal, say a couple of courses and a bottle of wine in a resonable restaurant.

Cant wait to eat the rabbit stew again.

Finally, we came in July last time and it was very hot - will it be much cooler at the beginning of September or can we still sun worship all day!!!!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
reviews: 3
3. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

Since Malta joined the Euro prices have gone up and also the unfavourable exchange rate of sterling to euro doesn't help. You will notice a difference in what everything costs you when converted back to sterling. I would say that now eating out in Malta and Gozo is on a par with eating out in the UK.

Weather at the beginning of September is stil hot and sticky, you might get the odd clouds coming over and sometimes some rough sea but you will be able to enjoy the sun

Enjoy your holiday

Paris
4. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

re eating out in Gozo i disagree with the last poster.

You can still eat out very cheaply in Gozo and depends where you go, if you eat at restaurants in Xlendi, Marselforn etc you can get a 3 course meal with local wine for 60 euros per couple which compared to the UK, is very good value, unless you are used to 2 for a fiver deals at your local pub ; ).

Good value restaurants in Xlendi include Stone Crab, Ta Karolina and the Village Inn which has an excellent 12 euro 3 course menu.

Bonitos is good but more expensive, you can check out prices on their website to give you an indication,

www.gozorestaurant.com/bonitos/ourmenu.htm

In Xaghra The Oleander is excellent

Paris
5. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

ps re the transfer we have paid 258 euros for a 14 day car hire from the airport with arguscarhire.com

last year we paid 290 euros direct in Gozo for 10 days, so a lot cheaper to get direct from airport and no transfer fees involved,

however if you do want to do direct transfer speak to these guys, will cost 20 euros to Cirkewwa and then imagine 10 euros to destination in Gozo so 60 euros and it doesnt matter how many of you they are, they charge per car/minibus rather than pp.

if there are two of you it would 32 € return to Cirkewwa and i am sure they would arrange onward transfer at Mgarr.

www.maltaairporttransfers.co.uk/…

Paris
6. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

pps can i just make an apology to Twirl, as i live in Paris i find Gozo a lot of cheaper than here and wasnt thinking of the pound to euro conversion so whilst it may seem a lot cheaper to me in Euroland it wouldnt be to people from the UK, apologies again Twirl ; )

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
reviews: 3
7. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

You're forgiven ParisMark!! Yes unfortunately to us here in the UK coming on holiday to Eurozone is rather expensive since the exchange rate does not favour us.

8. Re: Car Hire/Transfers/Sunbeds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Xaghra