We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ray Bezzina Scam

Which Malta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lille
reviews: 9
Ray Bezzina Scam

We rented a car from Ray Bezzina and the car itself was fine, despite being delivered late and picked up late.However we immediately had to pay additional costs (including a tank of petrol which was in fact only 3/4 full) not originally mentionned on the internet site. However what happened following its return is scandalous. We handed back the car accepting responsibility for a broken rear light and they agreed to send us the invoice for the repair. Without warning however they debited 1000€ from our credit card. After numerous phone calls they finally sent us an invoice produced by themselves...so they could in fact put whatever they want into it. We cannot believe that it cost over 1000€ to carry out these repairs and think that this is a complete scam.

38 replies to this topic
21. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, January 30, 2013

Scone
reviews: 12
22. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

I had a similar situation with Ray Bazzina cars. I work as a claims negotiator and as such. Have a good understanding of repair cost. Setting aside the fact that I dispute causing the damage I would estimate the repair cost of a dent to the wing at £250/300 they took £1459 off my credit card set against a repair invoice with no parts costed materials used or labour time/rate. This was deducted the day after the damage was discovered and included a charge of 9 days loss of use. Would I use them again? No chance

Warrington
reviews: 4
23. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

This whole sorry saga has put me off renting a car for my holiday in June. I am going to get a week long bus pass for me and the boss and use the buses instead.

Edited: 11:59 am, April 08, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 50
24. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

I'm coming to the party a bit late.

But I've also been over charged by Ray Bezzina Car Hire - Malta. They are a legitimate company but they are unscrupulous in the ways they extract extra money from you with all their hidden charges. I also don't think just dropping a key off in a box at the airport is good practice, it is just common sense to inspect the car with them. But Ray Bezzina Car Hire - Malta don't seem to offer this service. The full tank policy is a joke, it would take ages to use a full tank of fuel in Malta. Oh and don't bother contacting them to complain, you will get stone walled after the initial reply, phoning doesn't help either.

I've hired cars from the likes of Hertz etc with no problems at all in Malta. It cost me a little more on the daily charge but at least I know I'm not going to get stung for a few hundred when I get back.

The working practices of Ray Bezzina Car Hire - Malta are truly shocking in my opinion.

Unknown
reviews: 1
25. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

I used Ray Bezzina hire last year, I have booked to use them again this year, I had no problems with them, in fact to the contrary, I opted for a 4x4 for a few days during August, I was told it was not a great idea with children but insisted I knew best, should have listened, phoned up to see what could be done, the very next day I had a different car without any fuss, this was in my opinion excellent customer service, I note that those complaining about the charges have indeed caused damage to the vehicles, this does result in loss of earnings, if you are concerned that you may be liable take out insurance to cover such incidents, there are plenty of companies offering these policies outside of the car hire company itself online. The prices offered (even with the fuel) are excellent value for money and the cars are immaculate.

Winchester, United...
reviews: 3
26. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

to provide a service at the airport.

When I arrived at the desk the attendant asked me if I would like to take out insurance to cover any excess charges which I would be liable for if I was responsible for any damage. I said that I did not since I had always taken out such excess insurance in the UK. He replied that my insurance would be no good and that it would not work. I had two choices - firstly, to take out their own excess insurance at 9 Euros a day or the whole 1000 Euros would be taken from my credit card before I had sat in the car. He said "It would be impossible in Malta not to get a scratch. No matter how small the damage his company would charge 1000 Euros to cover repair. Even if it is a small scratch costing 50 Euros the company will charge you £1000 Euros." I pointed out that he was putting pressure on me to take his company's own excess insurance but he simply repeated that I had only two choices. I said that I was not able to accept those unfair terms and asked for the return of my deposit. He refused.

have on return to the UK spoken to the Greenmotion representative who have assured me that this should not have happened.

I happened to pass an outlet of Ray Bezzina Car Hire at my resort in Bugibba and popped in. I found Ray Bezzina himself there so I confronted him about me hire. He promised to get back to me but he never did. Having read other reviews about him I am not surprised. Please make sure that you do not get involved with him or you may find it difficult to get recompense.

Unknown
reviews: 1
27. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

I have been trying to contact them for weeks to make a booking, no reply, I had a very good experience with them last year, as I say even with all the additional charges including cdw they were very reasonable and accommodated us with what we asked for, it is disappointing to see all these negative reviews and now I am in a position of trying to find another car hire company for the first two weeks in August this year!

Krakow, Poland
28. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

We strongly recommend to stay away from Ray Bezzina Car Hire as well.

We had a very bad experience with them during our August stay in Malta. They charged twice our credit card for the car rental. When we proved double charge to the person at the service desk in International Malta airport at the time of the car return, the service clerk run a debit on the credit card terminal and gave us debit confirmation slip. The money has not been refunded to our account even though three weeks already passed. We reported double-charge to our bank as well as are in the process of the complaint with Malta Tourism Authority.

We have seen very annoyed couple at Ray Bezzina service desk at the time when we were returning the car at the aiport. Apparently, they had the same issue - they paid cash at the time of car rental, but also Ray Bezzina charged their credit card which numbers they gave at the time of Internet reservation.

Whether it's a complete mess at this company or intentional scam, the bottom line is STAY AWAY FROM RAY BEZZINA.

PS. We waited almost an hour for someone to show at the service desk for car pick-up. We landed at 6PM (so not in the middle of the night with delayed flight) as adviced in our reservation. The car quality was way below the quality of other rental cars from other companies. So, aside from credit card double-charge hassle, we got a very poor service

Dusseldorf, Germany
29. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

we absolutely agree 100%, Bezzina's Garage which now i believe has moved from Bugibba to Qawra has got themselves a bad name and tarnished Malta's image and other decent garage owners in the country. I ADVICE TOURIST & visitors TO BE WARY OF THIS PARTICULAR CAR hire. Its not only dishonest but also illegal and the sooner the Malta tourist board get to hear about this negative comments the better. We had a very similar experience with this particular garage a while back, we hired a car from Ray Bezzina's to our disgust we noticed that money was taken our our account the very first day we took the car out on the road, we were told that there was damage under the car that was not visible, as far as we knew we had no trouble , no dents or any parking fines, the man's wife inspected the vehicle and said all was in order , yet we were billed for something we didn't do, we took the matter with our bank - as we had legal advice the money was returned to us, cause this garage had no authority from us to withdraw any money without our consent or any explanation why. This is a Scam and people should be wary and keep away from this particular garage ...end of story

Amsterdam, The...
30. Re: Ray Bezzina Scam

We are tourists from The Netherlands. We have been to Malta on holiday serveral times. I just want to warn any other tourists when thinking of Renting a car by Ray Bezzina. 1. their internet site is not complete at all. They put extra costs in such small lettres nobody can read it any more. And when telephoning them you get treated very rude!! 2. They also delivered our car 1 hour too late. And when turning it back in they weren't there at all! we just had to leave the keys at the reception. After 4 days they sent an email saying we caused a damage to the car!! But before sending the email they had already booked € 250,-- off our credit card. Thankfully we were able to book it back...

I just want to say these are not honest business people. And think again before renting a car by them.

Reply to: Ray Bezzina Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted