We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Which Malta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wiltshire
reviews: 36
Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Our family are hoping to visit Malta/Gozo during the last week of October, and planning to rent a villa. Please can anyone advise whether it's worth renting a villa with a pool - or will it be too cold for pool swimming, by then?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Julie

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
reviews: 11
1. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

The mean temperature in October is about 25 deg , but late October could be cooler around 20 Deg C !

Personally , I , as a Maltese would not swim in these temperatures in an unheated pool , but have seen tourists swimming on a sunny day in the sea , even later !!

www.maltaweather.com/archives/tmaxmean.shtml

Depends much on what you are used to?

If you are renting a villa , maybe it does not matter , because with a pool or not it is the same price !!

wiltshire
2. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Good thinking, 643 - if we rent a villa with a pool, but it's too cold for us to swim, we've lost nothing! And if we're feeling really brave, or the weather is unseasonably warm . . . we could venture in, for a dip!

As you are Maltese, I wondered if you could also help on a suitable location for our holiday? We like peace & quiet, panoramic views, countryside, church-bells and cockerels (!), near the sea/beaches, a few bars and restaurants perhaps, but nothing too built up, and avoiding concrete, nightclubs and loud music - hence looking at villa's as opposed to hotels, and Gozo, rather than Malta - am I on the right track? I've been trying to check out images on the internet, but it's a bit difficult to get a true picture . . Marsalform looks quite built up, but what is Xlendi like? Or Gharb, or Sannat? Or in Malta, are there any quieter resorts on the coast, or are they all typical touristy type places- we've already discounted Sliema & St Julians, but not sure about Mellieha or Qawra?

It would be great to get more of an idea, from someone who is 'in the know' - though I understand it's all a matter of individual taste, and one man's 'noisy' is another man's 'quiet', so I won't hold you personally responsible for any suggestions - but another opinion or two would be good! Many thanks in anticipation,

Julie

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 13
3. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Last year Summer lasted really long and there were people swimming in the sandy beaches even in November.

wiltshire
4. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Ooh, that sounds promising!! Will look for a villa with a pool, near a beach, just in case we are lucky with the weather this year, too!

Thank you, hat776

Julie & family

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
reviews: 11
5. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Hi Julie

If you are looking for a Villa with pool , it will probably be easier in Gozo .

Mellieha Santa Maria estate may proove good but expensive, as a Malta alternative .

Having everything you mention , countryside , beach ,views and bars close to a quiet and peaceful villa is a bit of a tall order . Look at a map of Gozo and make your choice in one of the small villages , but obviously you will be a bit distant from the beach .

After you narrow down the choice , come back on the Gozo forum with better info! with a new post !!

Not exactly up my street but maybe someone else will help !

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
reviews: 3
6. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

I agree with 643 - go for Gozo. I would choose a little village rather than Marsalforn or Xlendi as they tend to be busier (all relative though as it's a tiny island). Somewhere like Gharb would be ideal. Not right on the beach but only a short drive from the beach. Will you be hiring a car?

London, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

Gozo is quite a small island so everywhere is near the beach. I would go for one of the small villages like San Lawrence, Gharb, Ghasri, Santa Lucia or Munxar. Quiet vilages with nearby country lanes. Yes, last year we were there in November and many people (even locals) were still enjoying their time on the beach.

8. Re: Warm enough to swim, in late October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 17, 2011