We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather what to pack?

Which Stykkisholmur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 138
weather what to pack?

do I need a winter coat if we will be there end of July

5 replies to this topic
upstate ny
1. Re: weather what to pack?

Not in the least! I've been in June and August and a light fleece was always enough. A rain jacket is a good idea, but even though I always bring it, I've not had to use it for rain. If you plan on the Jokulsarlon lagoon, I found a hat and gloves helpful, but only because it was early in the am and a bit chilly on the water. I never needed them on my many hikes.

The temperatures have been in the upper 50's and lower 60's this summer. It helps to bookmark Reyjkjavik on weather.com for a few weeks before you go to get an idea of temps and weather.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 73
2. Re: weather what to pack?

I just looked on the weather channel today and it showed Reykjavik having "high 30s" as its low but mostly low 40's as the lows for the week. :( In the summer? I am wondering what end-Sept temps will bring (when I will be there)! I was thinking I was going to have 40-50s for September....maybe not. I guess it's unpredictable, as they always say..... and yes, I will definitely need MY winter coat!!!! I am soooo cold natured! :)

Iceland
reviews: 24
3. Re: weather what to pack?

Hi marygrace58,

When visiting Iceland in late July you definitely don't need a winter coat. What you need is the following:

Light but good wind and rainproof clothing because the wind can be cold even when the sun shines. Also there can be rain for shorter or longer periods (sometimes horizontal rain!)

A thin longsleeved fleece jumper.

Good walking shoes + socks.

T-shirts and shorts because when the sun shines it can be very hot.

Your swimwear because visiting the local geothermal pools is a must. Each and every town has at least one.

Like gwenalisa says, if you plan on going near a glacier you will need gloves and a warm hat.

London, United...
reviews: 37
4. Re: weather what to pack?

I'd take a winter coat. We just returned and it went from t-shirt and sunburn to very cold arctic wind in about 12 hours. Best thing is lots of layers.

Aberdeen, UK
reviews: 182
5. Re: weather what to pack?

Layers definitely including jumpers/fleece tops.

I agree - weather very changeable.

I took a winter coat and was glad of it in the evenings but we were camping so sitting around campsite at night got a bit cold. If you are in hotels and just coming out for for food/walks you should be OK.

Reply to: weather what to pack?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted