We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Lagoon right before departure?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
reviews: 12
Blue Lagoon right before departure?

So, the package deal we bought from IcelandAir includes a trip to the Blue Lagoon. They have it scheduled for our last day there, as a stop on the way to the airport. I'm really not sold on this idea. Have you had a similar experience? If so, was it annoying to go with all of your luggage and go straight from there to the airport? It's the only part of our itinerary I'm not very happy about...

Thanks,

Christi

13 replies to this topic
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 22
1. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

But hundreds of thousands of people do that every year..... and love it !

London, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

was thinking the same thing but everyone has said to do it...so thats what im doing when i go next year in feb

enjoy

Toronto
3. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

In my experience, the 'visit the Blue Lagoon on your way to the airport' excursions store your luggage for you. Your bags stay on the bus/van/trailer; all you need to bring into the Lagoon is your bathing suit. When you exit the Lagoon soothed and refreshed, your bags are waiting for you on the bus to the airport. A half hour later, you're dropped off at Keflavik check-in, still in a pleasantly warm daze that takes some of the edge off security screening and economy class air travel.

I can't speak to the specific arrangements Icelandair has made for their package, but I would be rather surprised if they didn't handle it the same way.

About the only downside is that it will be during a peak time of day for the Lagoon (driven, in part, by all the pre-flight visitors)--but it's a big lagoon.

Fort Collins...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to email the tour company and ask about switching dates. It may not be possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Ideally, we'll get to go earlier in our trip and not on our departure date. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure we'll enjoy the experience anyway!

Christi

reviews: 15
5. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

As Blue Lagoon is close the the airport, many people (maybe even most?) do exactly as your package indicates, either go to Blue Lagoon upon arrival at Keflavik or just prior to your scheduled departing flight. That is what I am doing.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 98
6. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

It really is the perfect end to a holiday and well worth doing at the end. BL is so close to the airport you are not wasting time by going at another time. Just go with it and enjoy.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

We originally thought about doing that, and later decided against it and I'm glad we did. This is just my personal preference though. When I got out of the water and got back in the changing area I was still pretty warm (but I also get hot VERY easily). So I didn't really feel like sweating and blow drying my hair in there and trying to look presentable again. Plus it kind of made my hair a little weird. So we just left directly after getting out and waited until we got back to our hotel to shower, and deep condition my hair. If I had to do it either right after arriving at the airport or right before departing, I think I would have done it right after arriving, as you could still go to the hotel to shower if needed. It is a great experience either way so have fun!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 78
8. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

Debating this! What time would you suggest leaving Reykjavik then leaving there for 1645 flight time?

New York City, New...
9. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

fivecrazycats, we had the same itinerary and its actually enjoyable to do it this way.

The Blue Lagoon has a luggage storage area right by the buses. They are staffed, you get a tag, it's perfectly safe. Once in the facility, you go to the mens/ladies locker room area and there are large lockers that open programmed to a bracelet, you can fit a backpack or personal item in there.

Three bits of advice:

1. Take the 10AM bus to the Blue Lagoon, not the 8AM. You only need 1 hour in the facility.

2. You save a ton of time by buying your Blue Lagoon tickets online before you leave the country, the queue is quite long.

3. Bring a few gallon sized ziploc bags with you so that you can place your wet bathing suits in them for the flight home.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 78
10. Re: Blue Lagoon right before departure?

Would it be worthwhile to book the flybus to do this for 2 people? Or is there a better way?

Reply to: Blue Lagoon right before departure?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted