We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern lights

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bridgend South Wales
reviews: 2
Northern lights

Hi, just wondering if it's better to do the Northern Lights tour by boat rather than by land. Thanks

London, United...
11. Re: Northern lights

If you are planning on taking pictures, don´t go by boat. The boat tour however can be more adventurous if you are going for the experience only! Also, it gets much colder out in the open sea than on land. The sea can also get a bit rough so if you are sea sick, the boat tour is not a good idea.

Edited: 8:36 am, November 18, 2013
Hafnarfjordur...
reviews: 10
12. Re: Northern lights

Anyone will agree about northern lights photos on a boat, it won't work. If the weather is calm, the whole sky is clear and you have a strong stomach there is nothing standing in the way of a boat tour being successful. If it's a bit cloudy by the land but clear over the bay,and good weather, opt for the boat but make it a fast boat.

The chances of all of those factors lining up are slim but not impossible.

I would personally go for the super jeep tours, from my experience and comments heard from travelers; even tours resulting in no lights are good fun and at some companies you get to try again for free , but the bus tours have been successful as well and for a lower price.

All northern lights tours aim to get you away from electrical light.

Have fun what ever you do.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 1
13. Re: Northern lights

I agree - tours on land are better for taking good pictures.

The tours that the mass tourism company runs (Reykjavík Excursions and Iceland Excursions) are huge,but good.

Most evening they have about 100-500 passengers. The biggest coaches are for 70 persons and they all drive together.

I would definitely recommend a super jeep tour. I know Extreme Iceland offer those kind on a fair price.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 1
14. Re: Northern lights

Reykjavík Excursions uses big buses - and many of them together.

About 50-70 people in each bus, and most often 2-6 buses that go together.

Edited: 5:09 am, November 20, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 64
15. Re: Northern lights

and 50-70 flashlights and 50 - 70 mouths all open at the same time. My preference privately - in whatever is affordable, and with as few people as possible

London, United...
16. Re: Northern lights

I would say by land, especially if you are planning on taking pictures!

New York
17. Re: Northern lights

definitely by land and bring a good SLR camera with very good lens, if you are planning on taking pictures!

We recently came back from Iceland, and booked a private tour with Börkur Hrólfsson from www.tourguide.is

It was definitely worth paying extra for a private tour (there were 8 of us) because on the early morning that we saw the Northern Lights, we were the only ones that were still out, chasing the magical lights (this was around 2:30AM). All other group tours already left and gone back to their hotels.

Thanks to Börkur Hrólfsson for his patience and eagerness that my group witness this light phenomenon.

Colorado
reviews: 51
18. Re: Northern lights

The Super Jeep tour I looked at had a minimum of 4 passengers, and there are only 2 of us. Can they team you up with other people?

Cardiff
reviews: 34
19. Re: Northern lights

We've booked with superjeep.is , there is no minimum number of passengers.

Leicester, United...
20. Re: Northern lights

Hi there

Depending on if you wont to take photos - then view on land. We visited early December and did 2 NL tours. First tour was with Reykjavik Excursions - 8 coach loads of expectant viewers but sadly no NL show due to weather conditions. 2nd trip we did with Volcano Tours (www.volcano.is ). A small family run business using 4x4 jeeps they catered for small personalised groups, not your coach load of happy snappers. They were very friendly, informative and gave advice on how best to set your camera up. They even loaned you winter snow suits and camera tripods. Best of all was the free hot chocolate drink which was most appreciated as it was minus 12 during our trip and yes we saw the Northern Lights. Depending on your budget, Reykjavik Excursions is the cheaper mass market option and Volcano Tours is more expensive but would get my vote any day