We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Insurance and license

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ojai, California
reviews: 33
Car Rental Insurance and license

What car rental insurance is recommended when renting? I've see CDW, SCDW, and gravel protection. Do I need all of these?

Also is an international driver's license needed?

Mountain View...
reviews: 71
1. Re: Car Rental Insurance and license

Yes, buy all the available insurance for peace of mind. Note that your insurance becomes invalid if you take the vehicle through rivers. Also, normal vehicles are not supposed to be driven on F roads, so insurance will be invalid there as well if you take a non 4x4. Ascertain with the rental agency before driving off.

Edited: 2:26 pm, December 19, 2012
Salisbury, United...
reviews: 98
2. Re: Car Rental Insurance and license

IMHO you need al insurances so that excesses are waived or reduced to a minimum. If you decide not to take them fully understand what you liabilities will be if the rental company decide you have caused damage.

Search through this forum as a lot has been written about renter having to pay large excesses for claims by the rental company.

If you decide not to take all the insurances, inspect the car carefully and take photos of damage. Although iceland's road are good damage can be amused by ash and gravel. What time of year are you renting?

From reading this forum people seem to have problems with the rent a wreck type of companies. The car often have high mileage and so are often not as reliable. Also understand tat Iceland is very scarcely populated in parts, so a breakdown can be costly in terms of time.

I have never had any problems with hiring from the big companies that have newish cars but I always take all insurances.

Good luck

Ojai, California
reviews: 33
3. Re: Car Rental Insurance and license

Thanks. You both convinced me to get insurance. I will be traveling in July 2013. I've read through some of the forums and am thinking about renting from either www.faircar.is or www.bluecarrental.is

What about Theft insurance? I've read how safe Iceland is. Are car thefts an issue? Or more of a common sense thing of not leaving your camera on the seat?

Thanks for the idea of taking photos when picking up the rental car.

Gravesend, United...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Car Rental Insurance and license

Whoever you rent from you need to take the insurances. It is not only the rent a wreck firms you need worry about. the big firms are just as bad. Iceland has a problem with sand that can damage a car in the wind and many car rental firms will take advantage of this.

It is very common for cars to be dropped off and inspected only for damage to be found after the renter has returned home. Very large sums of money can be taken from yor credit card before you know about it and it can be difficult to get your money back.

Be very aware and make sure that the inspection report is signed and tha you have a copy also take photo's of the car when you drop it off.

There are some real horror stories on here if you care to look.

Brighton, Canada
reviews: 4
5. Re: Car Rental Insurance and license

We have used Bluecar rental and are using them again this coming May. Great service.

6. Re: Car Rental Insurance and license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 27, 2014