We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 26
If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

Hi All,

Wanted to reach out to the forum regarding the use of credit cards in iceland. Is there a preferred credit card?

I plan to go with cash (euro, local, and USD) but plan on using my credit card often. I would like to use Visa, but if it is not excepted at most place I will make other arrangements.

Thank for your help ahead of time.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 2
1. Re: If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

Every single place that accepts cards (almost any place you can think of) will accept VISA and MasterCard.

Mountain View...
reviews: 46
2. Re: If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

The more important consideration should be whether you will be charged the foreign transaction fee. The Visa cards issued by Capital One, for instance, do not levy this fee.

New York City, New...
reviews: 26
3. Re: If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

Hi Northice & Voiceofgoa,

Thank you for your quick responses. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't running into trouble using visa, as I saw in other threads/forums that only Mastercard was accepted in most place within iceland.

I am aware of the transaction fees associated with my carries and know about the Capital One no transaction fee. I may take advantage of this!

Thank you again.

Best!

Chelmsford, United...
reviews: 6
4. Re: If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

yeah know your credit cards before travelling anywhere. I have a specific card just for travelling with which charges nothing on any transactions abroad and finds the best rate, so i'm told!

Otherwise I never use it at home

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 216
5. Re: If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

I use a post office credit card and ive just part of my bill in today and i got 201 to the £. which i think is very good. I exchanged £50 before leaving and i got around 170 i think.

6. Re: If I use Credit Card, should I use Visa, Mastercard, Amex?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Reykjavik