We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Geysir Car Rental

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Avoid Geysir Car Rental

I went to Iceland for two weeks in September. Before I left, I did a lot of research on car rentals but in end made the wrong choice with Geysir. I chose Geysir because I was worried about driving an older 4x4 vehicle and was willing to pay a bit more to make sure I did not breakdown half way around the Ring Road.

So everything was fine until I returned the car. Unknown to me the passenger side door ended up with a small dent. This was not caused by my driving. My best guess is another car's door hit my door while parked.

After reviewing the damage they told me two things - 1) Geysir's repair estimate will be very high and I should expect a refund. 2) I can file a claim with my credit card company and do not worry about paying the repair bill. I needed to catch my flight home and felt I had no choice but to sign a $1200 euro credit card charge. I almost fell over when they $1200 euro ~ that is almost more than the rental itself.

Once I got home, I was able to research credit card reimbursement. Unfortunately, the credit card claim is void because Geysir automatically includes CDW coverage – up to $2,000 euros. Accepting CDW insurance voids anything your credit company can do. First off, I felt lied too and then to top it off I requested the repair bill which was received months later it does not even match the amount I was charged. It was MORE yet I was not charged. I'm pretty sure they have a auto body shop generating Iceland receipts whenever they need. So currently, I'm out of pocket $1200 euros and hope you will learn and chose a different car rental company.

And for those who think paying for the additional insurance is a good idea, I would crunch the numbers based on how long you are renting. You may end up paying over $400-500 in Super CDW insurance and still liable for $375 euros in damage.

Moral of the story - paying more sometimes just means paying more and understand to void CDW charges if you want to file a credit card claim.

Whenever I can afford a return trip to Iceland I'll be renting from someone else.

Mountain View...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Avoid Geysir Car Rental

A couple of points:

- if you took the full insurance from the car rental company your liability should be capped at no more than $600 to $700. I mean, that is the whole purpose of buying insurance!

- if you put your charge on a Visa card, I suggest you file a claim with them anyway. There is a good chance they will reimburse you (despite the stipulation that you should have waived the rental company's insurance). Make sure you get all the necessary paperwork and receipts from the rental company. Tell Visa that in Iceland you are required to buy car rental insurance.

Edited: 7:11 pm, December 03, 2012
keflavik
2. Re: Avoid Geysir Car Rental

From Geysir Car Rental:

This comment from Dan H has recently been brought to my attention. Having been in this business for 40 years, I did't recognize the GEYSIR customer handling in his post. So, I did a little research into the matter:

This is all very interesting Dan H:

It just so happens that I have gotten a confirmation from the claims company (eclaimsline.com) that your claim for the damages has been settled and paid to your account. Unfortunately it is not possible to attach their confirmation to this comment, but I am happy to send anyone a copy. According to the mail from eclaimsline.com your claim was paid to your account on January 18th - which as anyone dealing with insurance companies knows - is not an unusually long period to pass before settlement.

I think its only fair that you remove your negative comment about my company, as my people went above and beyond to make sure that you would get your refund. - This was done in spite of your lousy comments about us fixing repair bills.

What stands out is that you claim to have lost money that you didn't loose - IT WAS PAID BACK TO YOU BY ECLAIMSLINE.COM.

Respectfully,

Gardar K. Vilhjalmsson

Owner

Geysir Car Rental

Iceland