We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange at the airport

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
money exchange at the airport

What are my options as far as exchanging some US money to Kroners at the Kevflavik airport? I can't remember if there was a specific bank that was best. Thanks!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 2
1. Re: money exchange at the airport

There is just one bank at the airport, Landsbankinn: kefairport.is/English/…

The bank at the airport has slightly worse exchange rate than the banks in the city. Exchange rates can be seen here: www.landsbankinn.com/markets/exchange-rates/…

You can also withdraw cash from ATM's at the airport.

Credit/debit cards are also accepted virtually everywhere in Iceland. If your cards have no/low transaction charges then you can easily get away with little or no cash.

Cork
reviews: 31
2. Re: money exchange at the airport

We took the equivalent of 90 euro out at the airport when we arrived, and didn't need it at all - credit cards are accepted everywhere, for everything, no matter how small the amount.

The only place they're not accepted, that I spotted, is on the buses - but I believe you can buy books of tickets in advance anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
3. Re: money exchange at the airport

The previous posts reflect our experience as well. We travelled to Iceland from the UK. We had the equivalent of 200 GBP to start out with and returned to the UK a week later with half left over. (We understood that we did not buy our ISK in the UK at as good a rate as we would have encountered in Iceland. However, we like to arrive in place with a bit of local currency in hand.) As has been said, we found that we could use credit cards for everything. However, a bit of local currency came in handy (from a convenience perspective) for stamps, mailing at the post office, casual coffee/tea take-outs and so on.

Maidstone, United...
reviews: 24
4. Re: money exchange at the airport

Visited Iceland May 2012 and took NO cash at all, much to the consternation and anxiety of my partner.

However, no worries, we didn't need any. Even the coffee machine in the information hut at Thingvellir National Park had a slot for a credit card!

5. Re: money exchange at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 25, 2013