We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Welcome card worth it?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax, Virginia
reviews: 27
Welcome card worth it?

I'm debating the Welcome card for our upcoming trip but not sure it'll be worth it it. We have 2 free (nonconsecutive) days in Reykavik so I'd get the 3 day card for 4000ISK. We might take the bus to the pool one afternoon and hit a few museums.

It definitely isn't worth it for the kids who seem to get into the museums for free anyway, but is it worth it for me & my husband? Anyone bought it and had a strong feeling one way or the other?

Thanks, Amy

3 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
reviews: 41
1. Re: Welcome card worth it?

Certainly the Reykjavik Welcome Card has a better value than comparable cards in manyt other cities. In fact it is the only card of such type I ever bought. If it is worth depends of course how many museums you intend to visit (admission is typical 1100 or 1200 ISK) and how often you use city buses (single cash fare 350 ISK, exact change required, a one-day bus pass costs 800 ISK). Probably I would not buy a 72h card, when unable to use it a full day. Other than the bus pass the Welcome Card is valid for 24, 48 or 72 consecutive hours, staring at any clock time. The write the exact start time (hours and minutes) on the card when you buy it.

Andreas

Minard
reviews: 2
2. Re: Welcome card worth it?

Anyone else use the Reykjavik welcome card? Feedback on how it works for teenagers? are 15/ 16 yrs counted as kids into Museums etc?

Surrey, United...
reviews: 95
3. Re: Welcome card worth it?

Like Andreas says, it all depends on how many of the museums you intend to visit. I won't be getting one for my next visit (one week tomorrow), as I don't intend to spend that much time in the city, at least not during the day, but it was great value when I went a few summers ago. I used the swimming pools and busses pretty much every day and visited most of the museums, as well as Videy, which I seem to remember was worth about the third of the cost of the card by itself. The ferry to Videy though only runs at the weekends at this time of year. Don't forget as well that the card offers discounts with some day tour operators.

Edited: 1:09 pm, September 29, 2013
Reply to: Welcome card worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted